What?! I've been saying it wrong this entire time. -_-

~Xandria

So just cause I was bored I was looking at the link "How to speak neopian" on the pet central page. The very first one is Aisha pronounced Eye~shah. EYE-SHAH?! What? LOL. I've been pronouncing it A-SHA for the longest time, it was such a shocker for some reason. When I try to say it now it just doesn't seem right at all. Eh, maybe it's just me. I'm about to read through the entire list and see if theres any more I've been mispronouncing. ;)

Here's the link if anyones intererested - http://www.neopets.com/pronounce.phtml

I've always said it as the way it's supposed to be pronounced, but that's probably because the combination 'ai' in dutch does not exist... it just becomes 'ah, ee', so pretty much 'eye'. ^^ But I know that feeling. I'm still debating on how to pronounce certain pokemon names, since I'm so used to the way I pronounced them as a kid.

Being slightly dyslexic, I tend to mispronounce words and add letters where they don't belong, especially with made-up words like on Neopets. For example -

Aisha - ah-she-a

Elephante - ellie-fant-eh

Grarrl - gah-rel

Grundo - grun-doo

Kau - cah-oo

Meerca - mer-see-a

and so on.

I'm not sure what mynci is supposed to sound like. What on earth is a "mwn" sound?

Hahaha, I don't even bother with pronunciations anymore, since the majority of the stuff I read, never gets said outside my head.

Lupe is pronounce loop o_O

No way. Seriously? Lol. I never would have guessed! Weird.

Thank you for the clarification V! I pronounce things different all the time. >.<

Being slightly dyslexic, I tend to mispronounce words and add letters where they don't belong, especially with made-up words like on Neopets. For example -

Aisha - ah-she-a

Grarrl - gah-rel

Grundo - grun-doo

Kau - cah-oo

Meerca - mer-see-a

and so on.

I'm not sure what mynci is supposed to sound like. What on earth is a "mwn" sound?

I do the same thing as you with Meerca, Elephante, Aisha, and Grarrl. Dyslexic's have trouble with that? Huh. I might be dyslexic. >.<

I pronounced it like Eye-sha because I have a real friend with the same name but I pronounce most neopian names in "Spanglish" for example I pronounce "Buzz" as "Bush".

It happened lots of times to me with Pokemon as well, I pronounced their names my way because of videogames, then when I saw how Ash pronounced the names of some of them on the TV show I was like: :mellow: :weird: :whofarted:

It was like... at least I got Ash & Misty right!

No way. Seriously? Lol. I never would have guessed! Weird.

Yeah but it gets really embarrassing when I have a complex word that I know well because I read a lot, and then I say it aloud one day, and its soooooo wrong.....

I do the same thing as you with Meerca, Elephante, Aisha, and Grarrl. Dyslexic's have trouble with that? Huh. I might be dyslexic. >.<

Well my mum's definitely dyslexic, and she told me it was a common problem. I haven't be tested, though.

Yeah but it gets really embarrassing when I have a complex word that I know well because I read a lot, and then I say it aloud one day, and its soooooo wrong.....

I have the same problem too. The worst when when I said a word wrong in a job interview, and the interviewer corrected me - I didn't get the job :P

Oh my gosh, Hahaha. Tell me about it! I read all the time too and then I go to say it aloud and get stared at. So much for trying to sound smart.... :*

I have the same problem too. The worst when when I said a word wrong in a job interview, and the interviewer corrected me - I didn't get the job :P

Awh, now that is just cruel. D:

Aisha - ah-she-a

Grarrl - gah-rel

Grundo - grun-doo

Kau - cah-oo

Meerca - mer-see-a

and so on.

Huh - I'm also the same way with Elephante, Grarrl, and Meerca. I didn't even realize Elephante was pronounced any differently until today!

I don't think I'm dyslexic though, unless it's only with made-up words. :P I don't think I ever bothered to really read them carefully because I've never had to say them out loud before. I realized my 'mistakes' when I had to type them into the Shop Wiz, but I still pronounce them incorrectly in my head. Old habits die hard. :laughingsmiley:

Being from Northern Ireland, I have difficulty with "Kau". People not from here likely pronounce it "Kaow". I can't put down how I say it because I can't figure it out. x___x

"Chuchuana?"

"Yes, I do!"

LOL I know what you mean. I am often surprised by how things are actually pronounced. Oh well- I'm not saying any of these things out loud anyway. XD

Heh, I'm dyslexic too! I even - and I know this is weird - hear words jumbled. What's really funny is that I didn't know it was a thing until long into my adulthood.

Anyway, I don't know what they were supposed to sound but I for sure pronounced Aisha Aye-Ee-sha. Elephante is usually Ellie-fawnte. A lot of them are just really simple though, Kougra is like cougar only with the -rah instead of -er.

I've always pronounced it, EYE-EE-SHA ... |: haha

That's how I've always said it too. :/

The worst for me was when I realized that I was pronouncing Lupe wrong. Now I automatically say loop, but I used to call my pet a loopay.

Hahaha! I still call it loop-ay. I don't think that will change. :laughingsmiley:

I've always pronounced it, EYE-EE-SHA ... |: haha

I've always pronounced it this way too. Maybe because I first learned these words as a child that I sort of came up with my own pronunciation of the word based on what I thought I saw or what I thought it would sound like. Eventually I learned most of them were way off, but I just can't bring myself to pronounce them differently now.

I always say Lupe as loop too, and just off the top of my head I know I pronounce tuskaninny completely wrong.

Oh, I have a LOT of trouble with Pteri. I say, P-TE-REE. Turns out I'm close to the correct pronunciation. (Though now I just call it, Fawkes.) (;

Amazingly, I didn't know (until earlier this year) that Kau was just COW. I always said, KA-OO

/:

Oh, I have a LOT of trouble with Pteri. I say, P-TE-REE. Turns out I'm close to the correct pronunciation. (Though now I just call it, Fawkes.) (;

Amazingly, I didn't know (until earlier this year) that Kau was just COW. I always said, KA-OO

/:

With "Pteri", it's said like the name "Terry". n_n

I've always called them "A - SHA" like in the word "main".

And I do mix up other pet names too for some odd reason:

Gelert would be "jer-lert" instead of "gell-ert"

Grarrl would be "gra-rl" instead of "grahl"

Lupe would still be "loop" just ike the word "dupe", but Elephante would be "elefante (with a spanish pronouncition)".

Even though I can correctly pronounce pterodactyle, I still say P-Teri.

Kau would be said with a spanish pronounciation also (like in the word causar).

Like MysteriousUser, I've always pronounced Lupe as loop. It never occurred to me to pronounce it differently until my boyfriend and I started talking about neopets, and he says it loopay. Glad to hear I'm right!

I definitely say a-sha though, and ellie-fant-eh. I didn't know ellie-fant-eh was wrong until just now. I pronounce Pteri as "p-tier-ee," but I guess that's wrong too. I also say u-sul instead of oo-sul.

Huh. I like my ways better.