PETA goes after Pokemon

Naamah D.

PETA is ridiculous. They do way more harm than good. I'm a huge animal advocate (nothing like anyone associated with PETA, I can't stand them) and as I'm sure every sane person knows, there's nothing wrong with Pokemon. It's a game. It's not like these are real animals that are forced to battle in real life, like real dogs that people have fight until one of them is killed by the other. Not to mention, Pokemon has been around for 16 years. PETA is just looking for attention and looking for something to do. They have no shame.

I defend PETA actions most times, but sometimes I think they go too far and this is one of this cases. As Haliaetus said, they harm the image of animal rights defenders with actions like this because they rub the ridiculous actions. They are "pixels", I don't think that promotes animal violence... :mellow:

I just think it's funny that they're jumping on this Pokemon abuse story NOW instead of when the game first came out. Like, okay, it took you guys 16 years to come up with this? How sad. Also, attacking the series earlier would've been smarter since, with every new game that comes out, the message to love and appreciate your Pokemon becomes more and more prominent! :P oh, PETA...poor, poor PETA.

• 4 weeks later...

LOL. There're so many things to go after in real-life. Why go after Pokemon? It is after all just a game and Pokemon aren't animals so what's the fuss? Besides, I like playing Pokemon every now and then. Sometimes I do get bored with it though. Seriously? PETA, go after the REAL bad guys!

I just think it's funny that they're jumping on this Pokemon abuse story NOW instead of when the game first came out. Like, okay, it took you guys 16 years to come up with this? How sad. Also, attacking the series earlier would've been smarter since, with every new game that comes out, the message to love and appreciate your Pokemon becomes more and more prominent! :P oh, PETA...poor, poor PETA.

You are SO right!

• 1 year later...

After reading that post, I'm inclined to agree that they probably would (go after Neopets if they found about the BD). This is, in my opinion, taking the 'harmful effect of video games' too far. And I'm sure that they wouldn't have to look far to find real situations where PETA would really be needed.

I think it's great with organisations that look after animals' rights, but targeting Pokémon is just ridiculous.

I agree. This is absolutely ludicrous and a clear waste of time and money that should be spent protecting animals in the 'real' world. :)

I feel like this is a silly thing for me to be focusing on, but I think it would make a lot more sense to go after a game where your character hurts actual animals. There are tons of games where your character gets attacked by wolves, and a lot of them are just as popular as Pokemon.

Ugh =( I am big for animals rights but this is just another play for attention on petas part. I personally love the pokemon games and have played them since the beginning. A recurring theme is caring and loving your pokemon. And by recurring i mean almost every trainer you battle tells you to care for your pokemon and love it. I would think peta would be pleased with how much the game tells you not to mistreat pokemon. Btw kill shelters = no cool =(

Ugh =( I am big for animals rights but this is just another play for attention on petas part. I personally love the pokemon games and have played them since the beginning. A recurring theme is caring and loving your pokemon. And by recurring i mean almost every trainer you battle tells you to care for your pokemon and love it. I would think peta would be pleased with how much the game tells you not to mistreat pokemon. Btw kill shelters = no cool =(

I completely agree. People like pets. What's next? PETA going after Neopets for having the Battledome, (some other ideas I can come up with) so pet's getting SICK, or injured, or turning blue from being depressed? Or how about Creating pets, when there are so many "rescues" in the pound? Or maybe that PETA even HAS a pound? There are just so many things PETA could nitpick at.... LOL even that. "Nitpick? Poor little nits.". LOL I'm for animals being treated well, pets or those raised for food. But PETA, like Green Peace and E.L.F. really need to lighten up on the severity to which they act. Especially when it crosses the line and damages/destroys the property of others.

I like their basic intentions, but they really need to tamp down the insanity of some of their promotionals. One pic caption I saw that was rather amusing. Was, that if PETA wants animals to have more food, they should stop eating the plants that those animals eat. That's descriptive text, not what it actually said. I saw that pic ages ago and wouldn't know where to start looking to find it. :(

• 3 years later...

Oh no, not Pokemon. 

They glorify the Pokemon in that game. They worship them. The Pokemon defend the trainers in battle and when they are attacked and are intelligent enough and generally do no wrong. It's the opposite of animal abuse. 

Yes, there are probably bad trainers, but there are bad pet owners too. Good trainers don't make pets battle if they don't want to. 

• hrtbrk locked this topic