PETA goes after Pokemon

Naamah D.

This is seriously the most ridiculous thing I've ever read.

http://blogs.ajc.com/business-beat/2012/10/09/peta-has-bone-to-pick-with-pokemon/?cxntfid=blogs_business_beat

They'd probably attack Neopets if they found out about Battledome.

This is seriously the most ridiculous thing I've ever read.

http://blogs.ajc.com...s_business_beat

They'd probably attack Neopets if they found out about Battledome.

This is junk right there. I am not a fan of Pokemon, but what harm comes from playing a game about battling animals that don't even exist. (No offense to any Pokemon Fans, just being realistic)

After reading that post, I'm inclined to agree that they probably would (go after Neopets if they found about the BD). This is, in my opinion, taking the 'harmful effect of video games' too far. And I'm sure that they wouldn't have to look far to find real situations where PETA would really be needed.

I think it's great with organisations that look after animals' rights, but targeting Pokémon is just ridiculous.

... : | So instead of dealing with problems that are happening in the physical world, PETA decides to attack a huge video game franchise. I'm afraid they would go after the Battledom, too. Sigh.

This reminds me of the religious group that went after Pokemon.

But, eh. It's PETA. You can't take anything they do seriously.

As an Eevee, I find this very insulting and laugh at PETA's attempt to even say anything about Pokemon.

There was even a WHOLE storyline in the original Pokemon Black/White that dealt with an organization that thought trainers making Pokemon fight was cruel so they tried to do something about it. Guess how that went down?

Reading that just proved to me that they didn't do their homework and lack any knowledge around this franchise and have to bring up some "parody" game that isn't part of the legit thing. They just wanna strike a nerve and if anything, make me like them even WAY less.

That shock tactic worked well for me since you know...I'M AN EEVEE! x'D

They're going to lose a lot of people that grew up with Pokemon with this stunt.

PETA uses shock tactics to keep you talking about them. Guess what...

Very true. What other reason could there be to waste their resources on raising a fuss about a child's game that originally came out like 15 years ago? Besides, pokemon actually stands for pocket monsters I believe? Not really animals. If anything, PETA would be more in line to target Neopets & the BD because at least TNT has presented these creatures as pets that we're supposed to care for as users. Actually, I'm not even buying that as a differentiation in the relationship between the creatures and people, so this is just a useless ploy for PETA.

God, I hate PETA. I'm so sick of their attention getting schemes- though, I find this an approvement over walking around New York dressed as members of the KKK, and using naked women to gain attention.

If we had a culture that was more supportive of animal fights (dogs, roosters, etc), and where it wasn't illegal and generally thought of as gross, I think I would be more willing to say they had a point. But we don't. I don't know of anyone that is anything but disgusted by real life animal fights, so I'm not bothered by virtual animal fights.

I'm starting to think that PETA has a much more sinister purpose than it claims.

It's hard to swallow that group known for having an 80%+ kill rate and kidnapping people's pets actually cares about animals.

And it probably doesn't help that Ingrid Newkrik sounds like she's about 52 cards short of a full deck.

WHAT IS THIS TEAM PLASMA OR SOMETHING

This is ridiculous. Reminds me of when people were saying that Pokemon was the devil's work or something like that cause of evolution or something but ughhh.

PETA

WAT R U DOIN

PETA

STAHP

I'm starting to think that PETA has a much more sinister purpose than it claims.

It's hard to swallow that group known for having an 80%+ kill rate and kidnapping people's pets actually cares about animals.

And it probably doesn't help that Ingrid Newkrik sounds like she's about 52 cards short of a full deck.

Yeah, I think you may be right. :/ Any animal rights group that has kill shelters are definitely not what they seem. :/

If only they realized that the Pokemon games cause people to actually care for their Pokemon. People play Pokemon and get overly attached to their Pokemon, to say the least. If anything, PETA should be trying to market to these people that having a real pet to take care of is even more fun LOL

i feel like the only reason PETA is saying anything about Pokemon is because yahoo put out an article yesterday titled "6 odd facts about Pokemon". One of the things was the Pokemon were edible. So i'm guessing that's why they were making such a fuss. The article can be read here:

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/six-odd-facts-pokemon-010628069.html

That's just...eight kinds of silliness. You know, Winnie The Pooh got attacked by bees, should we maybe direct PETA that way as well? o_O

Nope. That was Winnie the Pooh getting what he deserved because he disturbed the bees. Leave the bees alone!

I found a video of someone actually playing the parody game that PETA made for Pokemon....it's so bloody and disturbing for a Pokemon game D:

PETA should be ashamed of themselves. My bf bought me Black 2 and the whole beginning was people telling me to care for my Pokemon!

I agree with Jezebel, if anything they should promote people to take better care of their pets.

PETA are really extreme.

I played the flash parody of the game "Black and Blue" and although I admire the work and wit that has gone into it how they compared it to real life animal abuse, etc is just ridiculous. I love pokemon and such a popular and classic game does not deserve to be attacked in such a way. I didn't think it had a serious underlying message and treated it as a hilarious spoof. (I mean, Cheren in the game is an alcoholic xD) I don't know if any sane person would take their game seriously.

I played that game yesterday (or was it earlier? lol I forgot) too, it was absolutely ridiculous. It really was violent and stuff. I'm sure the game itself would have been fun to plan and create but I didn't really.... eh....

It was kind of funny at the time but I didn't really see the point or anything; I don't see how that kind of thing is going to help awareness wise. PETA is already insane as is.

What I was actually wondering the most though was how they managed to get the rights to create a flash game using all the Pokémon names/characters and stuff. Wouldn't there be big copyright or trademark issues with that kind of thing??

What I was actually wondering the most though was how they managed to get the rights to create a flash game using all the Pokémon names/characters and stuff. Wouldn't there be big copyright or trademark issues with that kind of thing??

As long as PETA's not making a profit off of it, it's fine.

If it were an issue, games like Pokemon Tower Defense would not exist.

Ah I see.

But I still would have thought that having a game like Pokémon parodied directly in such a way wouldn't have been allowed as opposed to (a fangame? I'm not really sure what Pokémon Tower Defence is .3.) as such.

I think everyone's covered how outright absurd the game is, but something no one's pointed out yet (and I saw this on Tumblr so it's not something I personally noticed) is how easy the game is to get to and the fact that there's no graphic violence warnings. It'd be EXTREMELY easy for a kid who plays Pokemon to google "pokemon game" or "pokemon black" even, and end up finding this. I don't think I need to detail what that would do to the kid....

I just wanted you to know I'm totally stealing that quote from you. :)

Anyway, why does everyone still pay attention to PETA? It's like those 'Annoying Facebook Girls' - you just have to ignore their bids for attention and go on with your day...