When/if you've ever pounded a pet, did you feel bad?

usinski

The guilt is definitely there. My sister and I used to feel so sorry for the pets in the pound, to the extent that we made it a point to have at least one of our pets adopted instead of creating all our pets. There was a point in time when I would adopt poorly named pets or species which may not appeal to other Neopians as much and bring them to the lab ray in hopes of getting it painted or zapping it into a more desirable species before releasing them again.

Yeah, and I did it solely out of peer pressure. I had a decently-named Mutant Jubjub that my best friend at the time (who also played neopets) thought was ugly. Of course, we were both like 8 at the time, but to this day I still regret doing that. :sad01_anim:

Seven years have passed and my mutant is still stuck in the pound.

• 2 weeks later...

I adopted a pet for the purpose of an avatar, and I still felt bad abandoning it. It's name was "ihatemylifeeee" :'(

oh noooo, that's horrible :( I wouldn't have been able to abandon them.. I have such a difficult time already as it is. && it doesn't help that Neopets puts those little buttons there with the sayings on them, just makes it ten times worse for me.

Most of the time I adopt pets from the pound to zap them into something more desirable anyway, so I usually don't feel bad. I only feel kind of guilty if it's a pet I abandoned because I overestimated their value and no one adopts them. Recently I pounded a Mutant Tonu named princess_tiny and I was surprised that no one wants him. I think I'm going to end up adopting him again after I'm done with my current lab rat because how can I not? A huge male mutant tonu named princess tiny, it's like the lab ray wanted to give me the perfect zap.

• 1 month later...

I use Lost & Pound to find the right species with a nice name already in the pound. (Cremet is my current poundbro.) After some zapping they are usually stronger by the time I put them back (which tends to be when they change into the wrong species), and I feel no guilt - they'll be alright. They were fine last time, weren't they?

I never really feel bad - all of the pets I've created or picked up are WN enough that I know they'd get snatched up by someone to zap even if they're a basic color, and usually if I'm pounding a pet it's already a desirable color. I pounded a spotted Kau of mine that was rotting on one of my sides starving a few weeks ago, and now it has a new owner who's dressed her up with a ribbon and a meadow background, and is keeping her well-fed. And now I have room on my side for the Maraquan Elephante I'd been wanting - a win all around.

• 4 weeks later...

I've taken pets out of the pound for avatars and then sent them back in the very next day. The only one that I have ever kept was my jetsam. I saw a xweetok that was painted fire in the pound and decided to adopt him. My chomby is the only one that I have created and kept.

I don't really feel bad about using the pound pets and then putting them back in. The way I see it, someone else can use them for avatars too. But if I get a really rare one (like the pink hissi a few weeks ago) I try to transfer them back out to someone who needs the avatar and not just the pet.

• 2 weeks later...

I try and loan pets off people for avatars instead of adopting because I know I'll have to give them back to someone who wants them and that makes me feel a lot better than pounding them. I click the button really fast when I pound them, and I look the other way as well, I can't stand the "Leave me to die" text etc. It's too cruel!

I was going to pound King Tyrone, the pet I adopted for the Shoyru avatars, but I feel super attached to him for some reason so I think I'll make him my lab pet instead when I get all the map pieces. I have a Christmas Elephante I adopted too, but I think he will go back to the pound as soon as I've found a Bag of Peanuts. Either that or I'll send him to my side account... Oh god. Even thinking about pounding them is making me feel bad!!

• 2 months later...

Yes, I did. The first pet I put in the pound was one of my creation, and it was my own fault I didn't like her anymore (I used a transmogrification potion on her without knowing what it was...that was like 10 or 11 years ago). The second time was a uni I'd rescued from the pound but then didn't like how she hated everything, so I sent her back... Felt bad then, too, but I don't regret that one, lol.

I gave a pet to one of the cheaters, something like level 50, str 100+, because was starting up after getting frozen. Then her new account only lasted about three months before she got froze again. When a pet gets frozen, they disappear.

Still, traditional ethics would say that honour of giving a gift out weighs the loss of an imaginary thing. One gives a white dog, it is not then your say over its eventually fate. Just don't invite me to supper when the deed is done.

I adopt dull looking pets regularly and zap them until they are a bit exciting and then put them back in the pound so someone will want them, but I still struggle with that button that says' no dont let me go' etc argghhh lol

Hate the lab ray buttons for the same reason they are all crying and saying no and I zap them argghhh

so silly but still gets to me a bit :weird:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I never felt bad about it however I recently had to use the poud to make room for some lending chains. I confess it was a bit hard because that ixi was the first neopet I choose a long time ago. But I don't feel bad about it, I'm happy with my magma xweetok, blue koi and fire tonu :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

(Sorry for the necromancy!!)
I found this thread because I realized I made a side a while ago and finally remembered the password - it's not connected anymore (different email) but I adopted (created? can't remember) a yellow Chia on there and I honestly hate the thing. I don't know why I did it, I've never liked Chias, but even now without liking anything about her but her name (binyah_binyeh... like that big yellow frog?) I feel terrible about the idea of pounding her. Why is the pound so manipulative? ;~;
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels guilty about potentially pounding her. I can't even say the A word ;~;

Yes I do feel bad. I also thought I was the only one

I don't know why but it always makes me feel bad. Sometimes if I have their name in my history, I search them up to see if they've been adopted