Exam Results ... Oh

arkwright

This is mostly a post asking for serious advice.. I`m going to explain my predicament over my exams results, and ask what the best course of option is :/

So, on Thursday I got my AS Level Results back.

What that means over here (in the UK, for those who aren't familiar with the system) is basically the second last year before University. We finish Secondary Education, then have two years of college to take something called A-Levels prepare us for University. We pick roughly four subjects to study, and by the end of the first year, do exams that give us the first half of our A-Levels and get grades in our subjects. Then at the beginning of our second year of college, we would send in applications to Universities, and they would give us conditional offers (I.E. we will take you if you achieve A / B etc in the subjects).

Okay, so if you know me - you will know how crazy about architecture I am. I absolutely love it with all my heart, and its all I`ve ever wanted to do. And if you know architecture courses, you know that the two subjects they want the most are Maths and Art.

I got my results back on Thursday, and my results were as follows:

Geography: A (highest score my school has ever had, 100% across the board)

History: A

Maths: C

Art: C

The reason my maths grade was so low was because my school mucked my course up and couldn`t fit it into the timetable so I had to take lessons from the teachers before school on my own - I got an hour of maths a week, when everyone else in my year got six hours a week. I shouldn`t make excuses, but I think thats a pretty good one. But the Art grade was a shock. I took a month out of school because of illness and so couldn`t work on the coursework in the vital time, so I knew I wouldn`t get top marks, but a C is heart breaking ...

And whats more, even if I were to get 100% in Maths and Art next year I could only get A as top mark, not A* - and 4/5 of the Universities I am applying to will not let me in without an A* in at least (but rather both) Maths or Art.

So here`s my predicament; the one thing I`ve wanted to do all my life, I`ve been told by my family and college that I am not going to be able to do it. Or rather, I can do it - but will end up in an appauling university. Which is a shame, because since I`ve been in Primary School I`ve been prepped for Oxford and Cambridge (the two best in the UK) - and there is no doubt I could get into either one easily.... Just, evidentially because of screwing up in one exam, this is not possible.

What I have been advised to do by my college is to resit the entire year. That way I could retake Maths and Art - not screw up in Art, and be in an actual class and actually be taught the Maths.

However, most universities will not look at my resits, they will take my first mark hands down, this rules out Oxbridge.

What my friends advise me to do is do a different course - I`m tempted through heart to do a meteorology course, but there is high maths involved, so again no top-end university. Or I could do a history degree, which could be fun. And it has the plus side that my fiancee is also doing history and we would end up in the same University.

My other option is just to slug it out, and try my hardest to get top grades.. And maybe, just maybe come out of college with As in Maths and Art but through great difficulty. The only worry about this is, I probably wont get conditional offers from the Universities I want to get, and will end up having to reapply after my final grades, which could screw up more.

Sorry for such the long post ... But what I really need right now is someone rational to sit down with me and talk it through, and give me some advice.

What would you do in my position?

My heart is with architecture, should I settle for a bad university, or get the best possible education just in something like History instead, I don`t doubt I could do very well at that, but theres less chance of a good job in later life. Plus the slight problem I might not enjoy it.

But having said that; I`ve always been passionate about history. Heck, I have four jobs and three of them are in historical museums, and I absolutely love them!

Well I may not have the best advice and I'm not completely familiar with how things work in the UK, I think I understood all of that.

I am a firm believer in never letting someone tell you you can't do something. I hate when teachers or universities or anyone ever says that. I'm not at the greatest university in the world but I'm studying something I'm really interested in and want to have a career in. I would say if Architecture is your passion, you should do that. I wouldn't change to something you dislike because you'll end up doing that your whole life and being unhappy.

I'm from the US so that system seems quite complicated to me but I tried my best to follow. I agree with Ashbash. You don't want to give up your dreams. I went to uni for interior design (it was a toss up for me between architecture and interiors but I finally went with I.D.) and even though the job market in my chosen city is dead and I can't find a job to save my life, I still don't regret it. I loved my major and my classes and I know once I finally get a job it will be my best chance at a career I'll enjoy. I'm not sure I even would have been able to make it through all four years if I had chosen something else, since my heart wouldn't be in it.

And there is a bit of grey area between top level universities and bad universities. I ended up at a mid level university (respected but not ivy league) because of financial issues and I know the architecture students who graduate from my uni's program have no problem finding jobs in large firms. You might be surprised with your options.

Thanks; I appreciate both of you replying to this.

As it is now I`m still in a grey area in my own head, so some time out just to think about my options would be great. Only problem with that is I`m supposed to be working on stuff towards my beginning of next year - if I decide to resit the year, I need to work on the existing work, but if I`ll slog it out to next year and try to get the grades, I need to start working now.

Good luck in making your decision! I hope you do well in whatever you decide to do.

Ugh, I'm so sorry that happens. It's just not fair when school screw ups (the Maths timetable problem) end up causing serious problems in your life.

I'm not from the UK, so this may be complete nonsense, but is there any way to rewrite your A-Levels?

In Canada (or maybe just some provinces? I donno), we have exams in the last couple years of high school called Provincial Exams. The same exams are given to all students in the province taking that class-- a few are given to all students, because those are the classes that are required for graudation, but other classes-- biology, chemistry, history, geography, etc -- are electives.

ANYWAY, with these, all students have a designated day and time to take the exam. But if they end up doing really poorly (or missed it), they can sign up for a re-write. I think the grades of the two may be averaged, but still. I ended up having to re-write my English exam because I did so badly- I think it was a C. I rewrote it, and ended up with a B, which I was much happier with.

• 3 months later...

Hi! I'm from Singapore and we take Cambridge's A Level to prepare us for university as well.

I was in a similar situation where my grades were only average and unable to get me into my dream course. I ended up going into another course I never thought I would ever enjoy but I am doing well in it now.

You mentioned you have a passion in History with most of your job experiences in historical museums. So why not take a course in History? You have to ask yourself what you hope to get out of your career in future. Will it be a high paying job in a large firm or a small firm doing what you have a passion in.

It is true that even if you graduate from a mediocre university, you might end up doing even better than those who came out from a top tier university. As long as you work hard and plan your path well, you will be able to succeed :)

We have kinda the same system here in Finland. If we're unhappy with the mark we're allowed to take another test to prove that we're supposedly better. If your teachers say this isn't possible. I would suggest you go tell your counselor that you need to get into a good college and you need top grades to achieve that. Ask if you can retake the course during the summer? Maybe you can do it online? Or you could ask if you could go take it at another school. Hopefully something can be done! Otherwise maybe you could try getting an internship or something that can make your resume for college look more appealing? :)

• 3 weeks later...

And there is a bit of grey area between top level universities and bad universities. I ended up at a mid level university (respected but not ivy league) because of financial issues and I know the architecture students who graduate from my uni's program have no problem finding jobs in large firms. You might be surprised with your options.

I agree with this. You don't have to go to a "top school" to do well. I'm from the U.S., but I think the idea is the same. Yeah, top schools look really good for jobs, but as long as you have the degree that's mostly what jobs are looking for. Also, in my personal experience through transferring, I've learned A LOT more at my not-as-respected school than at the first school I went to that was very respected.

• 8 months later...

Maybe you're already sure of what to do, but I was in the same predicament as you 2 years ago. I'm from Canada so things are a bit different, but applying for universities was one of my most stressed moments in life.

As for what you should do, I think you should think about, "can you survive, even if you're in university?" I know the kick-out rate for my university is around 39% for first years every year so I'm constantly stressed out. I don't regret my decision in going there but I would think that even if you get in, can you survive the next 4/5 years?

Think of what your capable of, what you will be capable of, and start from there.

Good luck!

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Rune Valentine) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not bump topics that are no longer relevant.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Rune Valentine if you have any questions regarding this action.