Money worries.

Rebecca~

Gah. So my girlfriend got laid off. Her employers think that work will pick back up in a month or so, and she'll go back to work full time then. But they don't know. But in the mean time, she doesn't have any work, and the people at Employment Insurance don't think that she's been working enough since the LAST time she was laid off to get EI again. So she is completely out of luck.

With rent, and credit cards, and student loans to pay off.

I have some money saved up still, so that, in addition to my income, should be enough for the time being for both of us. Probably a good 3-6 months, at least. But I am so scared that it won't be. We just moved into our current place in March, and we love it here. We don't want to have to move out and get a cheaper place, or go back to our parents'. I had hoped I could quit my job and find something better (I really hate my job), but I can't see that happening until my girlfriend gets her job back, or gets a new job. -sigh-

I'm sure that everything will work out right. Things generally do. I know this is probably just a rough patch, but...

Sorry, I just needed to get it out.

Oh boy. I am really sorry. I hope everything works out.

I've never really had any adult problems (I'm only eighteen), so I don't have any advice or anything, but I really hope your girlfriend gets her job back and that you can quit yours.

Also: Getting things out is important, and I'm glad you were able to share your troubles with everyone at TDN forums.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

She will be getting her job back- but who knows when. :/ She works for a company that does research for lawyers. Most of their clients are various departments of the government getting sued. But because stupid Harper and his Conservatives have been cutting back on the budget for most of these departments, they don't want to spend the money on research until they get a court date- and then she'll probably have to work overtime in order to reach the deadlines. -sigh-

I do feel better being able to tell someone. I don't want to tell my girlfriend how worried I am, since she's even more worried, and I don't want to make her feel worse, and my parents are never helpful when I try to share anything with them.

Oh, ahaha, Harper is Canada's Prime Minister. As you can probably tell, I'm not terribly fond of him.

It didn't use to be as bad as it currently is- before the Department of Justice would start working on gathering documents for cases long before they even got a court date, so lots of work, and few serious deadlines. Not anymore though... unfortunately she's never loved the job, but she hates job hunting and stuff, so while she had a job she never worried about it. :/

Oh. Haha. I was really confused. I'm from the U.S, and I'm fairly informed when it comes to politics. I thought to myself, 'Who in the world is Harper?'

Canada, eh? Your country has really good ketchup potato chips. The last time my friends visited from Winnipeg, they smuggled fourteen bags of ketchup potato chips into America for me.

Job hunting is a pain. I gave up on finding a job for the summer because I had six interviews and absolutely no good news.

Ahaha. :D Heh, I've heard that about our Ketchup chips! Do you guys simply not have them?

My girlfriend and I are planning on bringing some with us the next time we go to Gallifrey One (a Doctor Who convention that is held in L.A.). We figure they deserve to know the awesomeness that is Ketchup chips, lol.

Ugh, that sucks. D: I got pretty lucky- I only had to go to a couple of interviews to get my job, and I only sent out 10 or so applications. But it sucks, and I'm totally overqualified for it. My girlfriend wants another job, one that's in her field (Archeology, preferably in a museum or something though), but it's hard starting a new job and getting 20$/h, which is her current wage (plus benefits and all that jazz).

Urgh. D:

No! I've looked everywhere. I'm not kidding you. You simply have to bring your ketchup chips to the convention because we Americans simply haven't had the opportunity to taste them. Wow. Well, I haven't even started college yet, so I guess I can't really complain about not having a job. That is pretty lucky though. Hope you get a job that challenges you.

Ahaha. :D Heh, I've heard that about our Ketchup chips! Do you guys simply not have them?

My girlfriend and I are planning on bringing some with us the next time we go to Gallifrey One (a Doctor Who convention that is held in L.A.). We figure they deserve to know the awesomeness that is Ketchup chips, lol.

Ugh, that sucks. D: I got pretty lucky- I only had to go to a couple of interviews to get my job, and I only sent out 10 or so applications. But it sucks, and I'm totally overqualified for it. My girlfriend wants another job, one that's in her field (Archeology, preferably in a museum or something though), but it's hard starting a new job and getting 20$/h, which is her current wage (plus benefits and all that jazz).

Urgh. D:

yeah in America they dont usually sell Ketchup chips (I've seen them before at the gas station :3) What do they taste like? o_O

yeah in America they dont usually sell Ketchup chips (I've seen them before at the gas station :3) What do they taste like? o_O

They're similar to BBQ chips. It makes sense because tomato products tend to go well with potatoes. For instance, we put ketchup on fries, hash browns, and tator tots. I don't understand why ketchup chips aren't popular in America.

I'm sorry. :( That really stinks. I feel like things like that have been happening to so many people, it really is a shame. Hopefully things end up working out for her and you in the end. I'm sure she'll eventually either go back or maybe find an even better job. Good luck to you both!

No! I've looked everywhere. I'm not kidding you. You simply have to bring your ketchup chips to the convention because we Americans simply haven't had the opportunity to taste them. Wow. Well, I haven't even started college yet, so I guess I can't really complain about not having a job. That is pretty lucky though. Hope you get a job that challenges you.

That is such a shame. :( We will definitely be bringing some, poor Americans. :b

Yeah. Well, hopefully the next time you go out job hunting you have more luck!

They taste like a weird mix of BBQ and really sweet ketchup. I donno! They're good though. :D

Sorry, really hope everything works out ok for you guys :( good luck and feel better:)

Aww, thank you, I appreciate it. :)

I wish you the best of luck. Why not just ask your parents to loan you some money?

I suppose that's an option if things get really bad, but... eh. My parents aren;t very willing. My brother just recently went back to school, and took out a twenty thousand dollar loan to pay for it. He had to completely stop working to focus on school, so his wife is the only one making any money, and they have a 18 month old daughter to care for, and my parents weren't willing to lend them any money to help out for the time being. My mum says they don't have any money, but they still go on a couple trips to the carribean each year. :/ My girlfriend's parents are far more willing to help out, but they actually don't have a lot of money to lend us- her parents are (mostly) retired. Her dad works part time so they can afford to go on a cruise once a year, etc, but there isn't a lot of money lying around otherwise.

Thanks for the good luck wish though. :)

I'm sorry. :( That really stinks. I feel like things like that have been happening to so many people, it really is a shame. Hopefully things end up working out for her and you in the end. I'm sure she'll eventually either go back or maybe find an even better job. Good luck to you both!

Thanks! I really hope so too. I'm sure they will, it'll just take some time. :) She has a day of work next week, and with any luck this big case that is coming up will be given to the company she works for, and she'll have lots of work. -crosses fingers-

Money troubles suck!! I know how you feel, it just always seems like as soon as you get on top of things financially, something has to come along to push you back down again. My hubby and I are by no means rich. He is a baker and I am currently complating my medical internship (long houes and rubbish pay!) and we have two young daughters and a mortgage. Everyone thinks we must be rich because I'm a doctor, but that is soooo far from the truth! lol! I'm only an intern, I can't even think about the big bucks till I finish my residancy in uh.... 5 years time!!

Is your GF able to sign up with a temp agency or something? My mum is on call with one and they usually ring her up once or twice a week and ask her to go work in a factory or something (just packing boxes or whatever) and she usually earns about 23-24 bucks an hours (Australian dollars, that is) and the best part is, if it's to far away or she's busy or whatever, she can just say no, and they just ring her again next time something pops up. It might at least be able to tide you over in the meantime.

Best of luck with it all!

I'm sorry to hear about this. :( But... I try to look at the bright side of everything, so maybe you can too. ;) You say she doesn't like the job at all. Maybe this is the perfect moment for her to look for a new job that she does like! I am sure you guys will be fine. Hope you get back on track real soon and your g/f will find an awesome job with great pay. :) Good luck! *hugs*

Money troubles suck!! I know how you feel, it just always seems like as soon as you get on top of things financially, something has to come along to push you back down again. My hubby and I are by no means rich. He is a baker and I am currently complating my medical internship (long houes and rubbish pay!) and we have two young daughters and a mortgage. Everyone thinks we must be rich because I'm a doctor, but that is soooo far from the truth! lol! I'm only an intern, I can't even think about the big bucks till I finish my residancy in uh.... 5 years time!!

Is your GF able to sign up with a temp agency or something? My mum is on call with one and they usually ring her up once or twice a week and ask her to go work in a factory or something (just packing boxes or whatever) and she usually earns about 23-24 bucks an hours (Australian dollars, that is) and the best part is, if it's to far away or she's busy or whatever, she can just say no, and they just ring her again next time something pops up. It might at least be able to tide you over in the meantime.

Best of luck with it all!

Aww, I hope things work out for you guys as well! It must be especially hard because of your kids. :( Heh, high five your hubby for me though- I'm a baker as well. :)

Temping is something she's thinking of! I think that is her best bet, since she is basically on call with her current job- if they need her to work for a day, she has to come in (or quit. She's been laid off, but she's still an employee, and still gets benefits. Not totally sure how that works, but whatever, we won't complain.), so most jobs won't really work for her. I'll definitely bring temping up again!

Thank you! And best of luck for you as well. :3

I'm sorry to hear about this. :( But... I try to look at the bright side of everything, so maybe you can too. ;) You say she doesn't like the job at all. Maybe this is the perfect moment for her to look for a new job that she does like! I am sure you guys will be fine. Hope you get back on track real soon and your g/f will find an awesome job with great pay. :) Good luck! *hugs*

Thanks for the luck and the hug. ^_^ I'm trying to get her to find a new job that she'll enjoy more, but she kind of lacks direction, and has the fear of a lot of change. But I hope she can get something that is more stable and more enjoyable. Though, I think she wouldn't dislike what she is doing if the company was owned by some people that weren't such idiots. Some of the stuff that she does research for is really interesting, and one case that they're hoping to get could be completely ground breaking in terms of Aboriginal rights and stuff. So that would be exciting! But urgh. Otherwise...

So here is to hoping!