Food Fear

Naamah D.

I'm going through a difficult time right now with "food fear". That means I have extreme thoughts about diet. Remember that diet I was doing? It totally back fired with causing me to be paranoid about what I eat.

The bottom line is, I should be able to have a piece of cake or pie without getting upset and asking my parents "Will this make me gain weight?"

Everything in moderation, right guys?

Everything in moderation is true, and you shouldn't feel guilty for eating the odd treat - unless you're doing it all the time.

It might benefit you to have set meals for the week. As in make a chart and eat the same meals on the same days at the same times, as well as snacks and don't deviate from that. That way you can factor in the odd treat and you know that you're keeping on top of eating healthily as well!

I'm going to be doing that soon to help with my intolerences :) I'm having a week of a certain variety of meals and snacks, then a second week that's different so it doesn't get too boring.

Now when you said all

Everything in moderation is true, and you shouldn't feel guilty for eating the odd treat - unless you're doing it all the time.

It might benefit you to have set meals for the week. As in make a chart and eat the same meals on the same days at the same times, as well as snacks and don't deviate from that. That way you can factor in the odd treat and you know that you're keeping on top of eating healthily as well!

I'm going to be doing that soon to help with my intolerences :) I'm having a week of a certain variety of meals and snacks, then a second week that's different so it doesn't get too boring.

Now when you say all the time you mean eating junk food every single day right? I had a cinnamon roll this morning and a doughnut(not in one sitting)but for lunch I had a roast beef and veggie wrap. You know, something healthy to balance out what I ate this morning. Usually I have yogurt with a banana or a muffin in the morning and then get a wrap or a PB&J for lunch. I don't put mayo, mustard or ketchup on my wrap(I actually think that's gross). I'm pretty good about eating, I just have a hard time trusting myself and go into "I'm only going to eat yogurt for the rest of my life" mode.

Yes, kind of. It's not just junk food you have to worry about, there's fat in things that you would think are healthy - like Beef. Although in moderation red meats are good for you (about the size of your palms portion per week), they're incredibly fatty and too much of it can lead to health complications.

Baked goods are high in fats, saturated fat (BAD!) and usually salt. If you're trying to be healthy I would avoid those sorts of things and stick to snacks like rice cakes and yogurt. Yogurt and banana sounds like a good breakfast on it's own, maybe try a bowl of Musli instead of the muffin? It will help get your matabolism moving much quicker.

If you're easily tempted like myself having a set thing to eat would probably really help.

EDIT: By Muffin so you mean like a cake muffin or one of those bread things?? I just realised you're American and I'm probably talking about a different thing. (Even so the Musli is still better :P)

Everything in moderation, of course. :) Any diet that encourages "all or nothing" thinking (i.e., treats or certain foods aren't allowed at all) are hard to stick to, are stressful, and can rebound badly or make you feel even worse when there wasn't anything to worry about to begin with!

"Moderation" depends on serving size as well as whatever else you eat. You can give into cravings, find substitutes (like the ones Saxen suggested), or if you have a yummy pie or cinnamon bun or something, eat half and save the rest for the next day -- you eat less and you get to enjoy it for longer. ^_^

• 1 month later...

Diet is not all about the food you eat. Not eating enough nutrition is worse than eating too much, in my personal opinion. I started watching my weight about .. two weeks ago. it is not the weight I am really concerned about but rather the fat. I had been trying to trim by fat by heading to the gym every morning before work. Do a mile run on the treadmill along with some weight lifting. Healthy life-style is the way to go :)