So what are you reading?

Lauren_x

I've finished The Dark Command and have moved on to Dark Force Rising (final book in Thrawn trilogy). 

I think I'll put Star Wars on hiatus once I finish and start re-reading The Dresden Files.   I never read the last 2 books which came out last year and it's been 5 years total since Skin Game came out.

• 4 weeks later...

This extraordinary publication presents, for the first time, the samurai armor collection of the Ann and Gabriel Barbier-Mueller Museum in Dallas. The Barbier-Mueller has selectively amassed these pieces of armor over the past twenty-five years, ultimately forming one of the largest and most important collections of its kind in the world. It is composed of nearly three hundred objects, several of which are considered masterpieces, including suits of armor, helmets, masks, horse armor, and weapons . The objects date from the 12th to the 19th century, with a particularly strong focus on Edo-period armor. Offering an exciting look into the world of the samurai warrior, the book begins with an introduction by Morihiro Ogawa. 

81uQvUGdwiL.jpg

• 10 months later...

The last book I read was The Easy Way to Quit Drinking by Carr Allen. It was recommended to me by a friend of mine, who had quit drinking after reading that book. I decided to read it too, as I am going through a recovered process after a long rehabilitation from addiction, and as the author's method described in her book is used in many clinics of the world, works quickly and gives sustainable results, just right for me. 

• 2 months later...

Last: Dogs of God by Pinckney Benedict 

Current: The Fog  by James Herbert

Next: Domain by James Herbert

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley. "Brave New World" is a dystopian novel by Aldous Huxley that depicts a world where people are genetically engineered, conditioned, and brainwashed to live in a society without individuality, freedom, or emotions.  I am in process of writing residency personal statement connect to this book. The novel presents a thought-provoking critique of the consequences of scientific progress and the cost of sacrificing human nature for societal stability. The story is well-written, and the characters are intriguing, but the world depicted in the novel is both fascinating and terrifying. Overall, it is a must-read for anyone interested in dystopian fiction or societal commentary.

• 2 weeks later...

Last month, I started to read The Song of the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce and am halfway through the 4th book.

• 2 weeks later...

I set a goal to read 48 books this year (yes, yes, I was bitten by the Goodreads bug), and I'm currently on #23, which is Messenger by Lois Lowry. Surprise, surprise: Son is on my list to read next! Sitting down and reading the Giver quartet back-to-back has been a much different experience that it was reading them piecemeal, though I'm finding that the companion novels just really can't compare with the original The Giver, for reasons of both nostalgia and worldbuilding/pacing.

After Son will be The Storyteller's Death by Ann Dávila Cardinal, and then it's up to the Library Hold List gods to see where I land next! I might have to trawl back through these replies for a few extra recommendations.

• 4 months later...

How did I not know we had this?  o_0  

Currently I'm reading the first in the Young Wizards series by Diane Duane.  A friend suggested the series, and it's okay, but I'm about 1/3 of the way into it and it's not catching me the way I was hoping it would.  I'll finish it, and if it starts to pick up, stick with the series, if not, eh.  

Most recent I finished was A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny.  It was GREAT.  Set up in a series of evenings in October leading up to some mysterious ritual with a guy and his dog trying to find out who the other players in the game are, and to get set up.  A bit mystery, a bit humour, and quite charming. 

I'm also reading a (so far) very terrible Harry Potter fanfic at the moment, but I think I'll avoid suggesting it, hahaha.