So what are you reading?

Lauren_x

My reading tastes tend toward basically whatever I can get my hands on. I just finished re-reading Unascended, which is the seventh book in the Stargate Atlantis: Legacy series. I've really enjoyed the series so far, and I'm waiting for the..eighth one in the series? I think 8 is out already?

Edit: Yeah, Eight is out already, 'Third Path'. I haven't gotten it yet, but it's definitely on my reading list. I have a pretty long list of things I need to read, dozens of books I got for nothing (or almost nothing) via Kindle. Did I mention that reading is my other favorite past-time?

So since I posted last, I've finished Breakers by Edward. W. Robertson (really good!!!), had a change of pace with an easy to read YA book called In Your Dreams by Amy Martin which I enjoyed because it didn't quite go where I expected it to, read a book called Omega Dog by Tim Stevens that was a pretty fast paced crime/action/thriller story that I found really hard to put down and consequently blew through really quickly, and then read a sweet and fairly tame Christian romance called Welcome to Last Chance by Cathleen Armstrong.  Again, it was a nice change of pace.  When I say it was tame, I'm referring to the fact that, in comparison to a couple of the books I'd just read where the outcomes were dire and millions of lives were lost or thousands of lives were put at risk which resulted in a lot of other people dying, this book had a much more mundane kind of story, but it was also more everyday and relatable and was a character driven story, moving at a fairly gentle pace.  I enjoyed all of them but I don't know that I'll bother looking for the second books in some of those series.

Right now I've just started a book called Lady Danger by Glynnis Campbell which is Highland Historical fiction, I think.  I'm only a few pages in.  My problem is that I download so many books from Bookbub (for free!!) that I'm constantly playing catch up and I often forget what a book was about when I come to it several months later.

I'm currently reading two books (I enjoy reading multiple books at the same time, so I can choose depending on which mood I am). The first one is a young adult sci fi book named illuminae. It's more of a script of chat conversations than a book, but it's enjoyable. The only problem is that the book is hard cover which makes it impossible to fit in my school bags (it is heavy enough as it is haha!) I am also reading devils by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I haven't really completely understood the plot yet, mainly because I've read it in noisy placed and I'm not used to this kind of litterature in english, but yeah. hopefully it will become much clearer as it progresses.

Right now I am reading The Invisibles: The untold story of african american slaves in the white house by Jesse J Holland. Once I am done with that, I'm going back to fiction with Atlantis in Peril by T A Barron. School starts back up on Tuesday, and I have a stack of library books to read through... before that? During that? Whenever I have time, really.

I rarely buy books, and instead get them from the library in person, or borrow ebooks if I can't/don't want to go to the library in person. Like when I'm away for the summer, though I have gotten library cards for local libraries while at summer jobs.

• 2 weeks later...

So, Lady Danger was not really my cup of tea, as it turns out.  I tried then to read another book by the same author that was in a similar vein although of a different historical period and I couldn't finish it.  I deleted it and I've forgotten what it was called.  They weren't terrible books, but so not my thing, and I found the characters annoying at times.  Right now I'm reading The Academy series by C. L. Stone.  It definitely has its moments where I want to smack some sense into the MC, but that is kind of half of the plot.  She just doesn't know a whole bunch of things that I tend to assume everybody is aware of.  For anyone aware of the fact that there is more than one series written in the same world, I should specify that I'm reading the Ghost Bird series and I'm up to book 7, I think.  I have read book 1 of the Scarab Beetle series, but not ventured any further down that path yet.  There are definitely some issues in the books that I'm struggling to wrap my head around, and not because I'm a prude or prejudiced or anything, but just because I can't help but wonder about the practicalities that would come into play further down the track.  My mind is boggling...

• 4 months later...

Chasing Fire, by Nora Roberts. Almost done.

Probably will try a Stephen King book next, but I don't know.

I'm scared cause I don't like horror stuff...

King fan here! If you don't like horror, I'd recommend Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption (I have this as part of a collection entitled Stephen King Goes to the Movies, which does also contain some horror stories, so watch out!), The Green MileThe Bachman Books (Rage and Roadwork should be fine, while The Long Walk and The Running Man are dystopian), and if you don't mind the post-apocalyptic genre, The Stand is amazing. I'd also recommend his non-fiction book On Writing, which is a combination of autobiography and writer's manual. 

I'm currently on volume two of the Dark Tower series, and I think I'm hooked already!

I don't really read much anymore (fell out of the habit in college, unfortunately), but I've been re-reading The Murder of Roger Ackroid by Agatha Christie. That one's her best book, I think. Right on par with Murder on the Orient Express. 

(I promise I'm not a murderer, I just like mystery novels XD)

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading Pet Semetary by Stephen King but, since I'm not too into reading, I only got about a third of the way through before returning it to the library. It was a great read though; definitely recommend it if you like that creepy stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really read much anymore (fell out of the habit in college, unfortunately), but I've been re-reading The Murder of Roger Ackroid by Agatha Christie. That one's her best book, I think. Right on par with Murder on the Orient Express. 

(I promise I'm not a murderer, I just like mystery novels XD)

Oooh I found Agatha Christie reader! Yay! :D

I have the book but I haven't read it yet, they said it's one of her best story?

I've been re-reading Artemis Fowl the series, I'm sad that it has ended :(

They said a movie adaptation was planned but maybe it's too difficult to do @-@

Oooh anyone here ever heard of The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie?? I'm only on chapter eight, but it's really good. It follows an 11-year-old girl (it's still surprisingly relevant for me, an almost 20-year-old) and her attempt to solve a murder. I love it. :)

• 3 months later...

I've just started reading 'The Host' by Stephanie Meyer. Yeah the Twilight author and no, I'm not a Twilight fan. Not anymore. I awoke from that idiocy coma 5 years ago. 

A lot of folks find 'The Host' better than 'Twilight' so I thought I'd give it a try. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently reading "Dollface" by Renee Rosen. It's about a young woman in Chicago in the 1920's.

Gangsta time!

I like it a lot. Easy read, and I looooooooooove American history, no matter the time period.

In fact, I am also reading "Benjamin Franklin: An American Life" by Walter Isaacson. So interesting, and yeah...a much s-l-o-w-e-r read ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

I'm re-reading the Ken Follett books that I have, and re-affirming my opinion that he's not very good and I should get rid of them. :laughingsmiley:

Funnily enough I don't like books that have me regularly rolling my eyes at what the author has people doing/saying, fancy that. >_<

• 2 weeks later...

I'm rereading the Hunger Games books... I'm about halfway through the last book. Then I'll probably rewatch the movies, haha. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm re-reading The Count of Monte Cristo. 

My reading tastes tend to vary a whole lot, but I really like non-fiction books about psychology. Though I have a nasty habit of using some of the stuff I learn on those around me - I'm trying to cut it. 

• 4 weeks later...

I most recently finished Cat's Cradle and am 3/4 of the way through Slaughterhouse Five. They're both hilarious (Cat's Cradle especially so) but soooo random. Sometimes I don't even know what's going on - maybe that's the point? Either way, both are really good!

• 3 weeks later...

@Mouseykins, I just noticed your interests section when reading your reply in the Runway, and I had to comment, and I figured the reading thread was more appropriate.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE Tamora Pierce books!  She's my favorite author!  I have all of the books except the short story collection, and I reread them constantly!  I was actually thinking today of starting Aly's books again, but figured I should probably finish the library book that I've had for weeks and keep putting aside to reread various Tamora Pierce books over and over.  I actually have one bookshelf that is just for Tamora Pierce books.  I'm going to have to devote more space to her soon, because there's a new book coming out on Halloween that I'm hoping to get for Christmas, and the first Numair book is coming out in February, which I'm hoping to get for my birthday in March.  Sadly the board that I used for that shelf just happened to be exactly the right length for the existing books in the formats I have.

• 3 years later...

currently i'm reading 2 books the one is about American tradition like their dressing ways their food or like famous food of American people and majorly about their ascent like what is the difference between American ascent and England and some other staff and the second book which named as The 'Animal skull' and this book describes in words and pictures the bones and regions of the skull important to identification, including illustrations of all the bones in the cranium, leading to a greater understanding of a creature's place in the natural world. Life-size drawings and detailed measurements make this guide an invaluable reference for wildlife professionals, trackers, and animal-lovers alike. 

9780811733090-uk.jpg

• 1 month later...

Crown of Swords by Robert Jordan, I'd say 3/5 as a standalone but 4.5/5 as a continuation. It's part of the Wheel of Time series (the 7th book) and famously the first of the 'slowdown' books where there is more of a focus on world-building and fleshing out characters than on moving the plot forward. I really liked it, but it's not my favorite of the series.

• 2 weeks later...

I read a lot and always more than one book.  So currently I'm:

re-reading The Thrawn Trilogy 

reading The Hobbit with my boys (I homeschool)

I've also just started Neverwhere.

I'm trying to hit 100 books this year as my Goodreads goal.