So what are you reading?

Lauren_x

ouran high school host club vol 7 uwu

is it as good as the anime? better? i need to get back into anime & manga XD it just costs so much to buy the books and my internet's so slow for watching it...

i'm about to start reading inheritance by christopher paolini.. it's the latest (and final) book of the eragon series and i bought it quite some time ago, fully intending to get right into it immediately. obviously, i failed to do so. : p i'm looking forward to it!

lol same here. i got the last one from my sister back in January and still haven't opened it to the first page! :rolleyes_anim:

I just made a massive post in the hunger games thread that said basically this but in about a hundred times more characters. May I steal your words? :P But, yes, same - read them in three days. I was surprised at how quickly I read them actually - I'm quite out of practice.

I may finally be getting my hands on a copy of "To Kill a Mockingbird". Anything I need to watch out for?

we had to read to kill a mockingbird for year 11 english which was around.. 4 years ago? i don't have much pre-commentary to offer except that it's certainly a classic and i found it to be a fantastic read and would gladly have read it out of choice if it hadn't been part of the curriculum.

I just recently finished both Come Thou, Tortoise and Message in a Bottle. Both were quite good and I'd recommend them!

Come Thou, Tortoise (by Jessica Grant) is a little bit hard to explain but it's essentially about this very quirky girl named Audrey who has to go home to be when she finds out her dad has been hit with a Christmas tree walking home and is in a comma (sorry- coma [all part of the humour of the book]). There are a few little mini love stories intertwined, and a hilarious tortoise named Winnifred that talks about various journies and life as a tortoise. The ending is a really nice little surprise, and like I said I really enjoyed reading it!

Message in a Bottle (by Nicholas Sparks) is pretty much your typical Nicholas Sparks book. Lots of lot, some attractive main characters, and some sort of heartbreak/death/sickness at the end (although I won't share which because I don't want to spoil it). There's quite a bit of sailing and talk about boats and the sea in it as well, and I really enjoyed the imagery. I wouldn't say Sparks is the best writer, but I'm a bit of a sucker for romantic stories.

• 2 weeks later...

So after watching the first series of Game of Thrones in two days (my mum bought my dad the bluray boxset for their anniversary but I was on a school holiday so I opened it for them ;) ) I bought and am currently read A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin and it's great! I love detailed, intelligent fantasy and this is up there with the best of them.

I love all the different perspectives that the book is written from ^-^ and I'm really looking forward to reading the whole series!

So after watching the first series of Game of Thrones in two days (my mum bought my dad the bluray boxset for their anniversary but I was on a school holiday so I opened it for them ;) ) I bought and am currently read A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin and it's great! I love detailed, intelligent fantasy and this is up there with the best of them.

I love all the different perspectives that the book is written from ^-^ and I'm really looking forward to reading the whole series!

Be warned, it gets weird. And by weird I mean annoying. lol, but that's just me. I didn't like the series that much when I got to the fourth book. Then again, it's been so long since i read them (#1-4) and everyone else i know who's read them likes the 4th and 5th books, so... pay me no heed XD

on another note, I finished The Girl Who Played With Fire and liked it even better than the first one! It was so good, I almost want to read it again, but I do not have the time for that with IB exams coming up... :sad01_anim: I also finished Hunger Games. It really didn't compare to The Girl Who Played With Fire, but I did love it, too. ^_^

Well, as i am still in school, they make us read books and then write responses on them; things we liked, didn't like, techniques we thought were effective etc.

Currently i am reading Pretties by Scott Westerfeld. Its the second book in a trilogy, and im love the series so far!!! It's set in a dystopian world after generations like us fell into chaos (called the Rusties because all the old buildings are rusted). Now everyone can get a surgery at 16 which makes everyone drop dead perfectly gorgeous. It follows a protagonist, Tally, and her adventures in this very different world.

This book has some amazing themes, and the story line is so unique!! I'd highly recommend it =D.

I finished The Millenium series by Larsson today with The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. I thought the crime & policing aspect was boring like the first one, but the abundance of carried-out vengeance more than made up for it. Besides, the boring stuff was necessary. ^_^ Anyway, i have no idea what to read next because i haven't read books that good in awhile. Nothing in my to-read pile seems interesting anymore... :(

I'm currently reading Orsinian Tales by Ursula K. Le Guin. I absolutely adore her, but this book I'm kind of luke warm about. The stories just aren't grabbing me the way her stories normally do.

I recently finished Stephen King's "Under the Dome" which was pretty cool, and I recently ordered J.R.R. Tolkien's books "The Hobbit," The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and the "Silmarillion." I'm a big fan of the movies that were made of his work so I finally bought the books so I can read them since I hear there are many differences between the movies and the books, as is usually the case. I also ordered the The Hunger Games trilogy to read soon as well, my best friend loves the series and told me I HAVE to read it, lol. I liked the movie so I figured why not :)

just ordered some books, YAY!

wttk-cover.jpg

The wind through the keyhole

SongForSusannah.jpg

Song of Susannah

159586738.JPG

The dark tower: The long road home (graphic novel)

10644930.jpg

11/22/63

All by mister Stephen King. :)

Yes I am a huge tower junkie and a King-nerd, and proud of it :D And currently rereading DT5: The Wolves of the Calla

just ordered some books, YAY!

wttk-cover.jpg

The wind through the keyhole

SongForSusannah.jpg

Song of Susannah

159586738.JPG

The dark tower: The long road home (graphic novel)

10644930.jpg

11/22/63

All by mister Stephen King. :)

Yes I am a huge tower junkie and a King-nerd, and proud of it :D And currently rereading DT5: The Wolves of the Calla

Noice Stephen King is pretty great. A lot of people I know like him, but I think that's because everyone here is like "OMG HE'S FROM MAINE AND WE LIVE HERE TOO, SO KEWL" because not a lot of big people in recent culture comes from Maine.. I've been wanting to read The Dark Tower series, a friend from work has been meaning to let me borrow his books actually but he's so scatterbrained he always forgets to bring them to work lawlz.

Stephen King... :weird: I've heard so much about him I think I'm too scared to pick up a book by him. I'm not that much into horror anyway ^_^

I finished Catching Fire.

Catching Fire was great - might I say beter than the first one (the Hunger Games)? There were at least less comma splices and shortly cut-off thoughts, but I can't decide which one was better. I got this overall feeling that something was lacking from both books, though, and I am really getting sick of girls in books being stuck between two guys. <_<

I'm catching up on my pony fanfictions since I did bookmark a lot of them....

Silent Ponyville is actually a good crossover between MLP/Silent Hill.

I've always been a fan on how deep Silent Hill really was and seeing it put into pony form was weird at first but it just flows so well!

silentponyvillecoverfin.jpg

Stephen King... :weird: I've heard so much about him I think I'm too scared to pick up a book by him. I'm not that much into horror anyway ^_^

I finished Catching Fire and Future of Us since I last posted, and one was great while the other I only forced myself to read because someone bought it for me. Future of Us was just plain dull. Yuck. The plot, characters, writing, and even the chapter titles bored me to death.

Catching Fire was great, though - might I say beter than the first one (the Hunger Games)? There were at least less comma splices and shortly cut-off thoughts, but I can't decide which one was better. I got this overall feeling that something was lacking from both books, though, and I am really getting sick of girls in books being stuck between two guys. <_<

Not all Stephen King books are horror. The Dark Tower series is a cross between SF/Fantasy and Western. Also, The Talisman, Black House, Under the Dome, The Eyes of the Dragon, just a couple examples of fantasy books by King. And if you like comics, there is a whole bunch of marvel comics out there that are based on King works.

My experience though is that most people either love King or don't care about him. I heard a lot of people say they think King goes too much into detail. Maybe just go to the library and pick up one of his shorts-bundles? You never know, you just might love his work :D

Not all Stephen King books are horror. The Dark Tower series is a cross between SF/Fantasy and Western. Also, The Talisman, Black House, Under the Dome, The Eyes of the Dragon, just a couple examples of fantasy books by King. And if you like comics, there is a whole bunch of marvel comics out there that are based on King works.

My experience though is that most people either love King or don't care about him. I heard a lot of people say they think King goes too much into detail. Maybe just go to the library and pick up one of his shorts-bundles? You never know, you just might love his work :D

I'm not a huge fan of Stephen King despite having read a tonne of his books, and I have to agree- there is quite a bit of variation in the types of novels he writes, and lots of fantastic movies and comics have been made from his books.

My favourite, by far, Stephen King novel is The Green Mile. Famous and fantastic movie (Tom Hanks starred in it, I think?), and the book is even better (as they usually are!). It's not horror, mostly just drama with a little paranormal side to it. The only horror in it comes from the terrible things people can do to each other- it's set on death row in a prison, so most of the recurrent characters are pretty nasty pieces of work.

I'm not a huge fan of Stephen King despite having read a tonne of his books, and I have to agree- there is quite a bit of variation in the types of novels he writes, and lots of fantastic movies and comics have been made from his books.

My favourite, by far, Stephen King novel is The Green Mile. Famous and fantastic movie (Tom Hanks starred in it, I think?), and the book is even better (as they usually are!). It's not horror, mostly just drama with a little paranormal side to it. The only horror in it comes from the terrible things people can do to each other- it's set on death row in a prison, so most of the recurrent characters are pretty nasty pieces of work.

Yes!!!! Exactly this. :) Also; Mr Jingles = ♥!!! I love the Green Mile.

My favorite books are the Dark Tower books though. I fell in love with the atmosphere and imagination of the story, the combination of genres, and for the most part the character of Roland Deschain. I also love how a lot of the books hook together with the DT books.

i am also a Stephen King / DT huge fan :)

currently reading CELL and Wolves of the Calla for the 1000th times (Comm Comm Commala)

I'm almost through the Wolves now, for the umphteenth time. :P

How are you liking Cell? I loved it, and the scenes at the school actually made me think of The Talisman, where Jack goes to visit Richard at his school.

I love Cell .. although I'm very very slowly progressing .. I got to the part where they are at Gaiten Academy and yes it is a bit like Talisman although the details of that one are really vague now :)

I also got the Way Station comics :) just finished reading The Battle Of Tull and will start on them now :)

I guess i was under the assumption that he only wrote horror - i'm glad this isn't the case! I'll be sure to read The DarkTower series then, since I like westerns and sci fi. <3 (...Lonesome Dove made me cry when I read it)

oh! and as a sidenote, i finished Wolves, Boys, and Other Things That Might Kill Me. I liked it. Yep. :P

Well, as i am still in school, they make us read books and then write responses on them; things we liked, didn't like, techniques we thought were effective etc.

Currently i am reading Pretties by Scott Westerfeld. Its the second book in a trilogy, and im love the series so far!!! It's set in a dystopian world after generations like us fell into chaos (called the Rusties because all the old buildings are rusted). Now everyone can get a surgery at 16 which makes everyone drop dead perfectly gorgeous. It follows a protagonist, Tally, and her adventures in this very different world.

This book has some amazing themes, and the story line is so unique!! I'd highly recommend it =D.

Oh, I remember reading that series! They are really good. I'm pretty sure there's a fourth book, that's set in the same world, but follows Ava or something like that instead of Tally, called Extras

Oh, I remember reading that series! They are really good. I'm pretty sure there's a fourth book, that's set in the same world, but follows Ava or something like that instead of Tally, called Extras

Really? Awesome =). I'm still to read the 3rd one, and the 4th one =). I'm so excited that there is a 4th one!! Because i really am enjoying the series so far. I'm glad i've decided to write a reading report on it, they're always really annoying to write about books that you aren't actually interested in. Haha, i should really start writing it soon though...