Likes?

Piticent

Like the voting posts up/down on the old version of the forum, the administration team has never enabled this feature (nor ever will since this may have a chance on hurting others' reputation on posts).

I wish they worked as well but I can see the logic of them being disabled. Even without the dislike button it could still create friction between members; if one answer gets liked and the other doesn't blaablahh :/

There's no way to just "like" post without effecting reputation? On another message board, you can just hit "like" and it'd show who "likes" the post. I suppose if this can't be altered I can understand why the admins wouldn't like it. It's a shame it's not made so we could just "like" a post without having to effect a user's reputation.

Couldn't we possibly just place a cap on likes? Maybe if you have, say, 200+ posts? Or some sort of limit? I know that's more than I have, I'm just thinking realistically...I mean, I only want to use the system positively. There are a lot of great posts which I would like to have something like "lilshadowdweller and 3 other users liked this". It's like giving a kudos! It may event prevent some members from simply quote others and saying things like "ditto", or "what she/he said", which as I understand it, is frowned upon.

It doesn't actually reflect reputation in the +/- sense.

What it does is allow you and others to see if your post is credible (or if people agree with what you're saying) as it will send you a notifcation saying who liked your post and will give others a heads up that your comment/topic is in fact giving good information/is helpful etc.

Think of it like a Facebook like button. If you like what they said, think the gave good information, think the post is funny (or whatever reason) you can like it.

From what I can gather from googling, it doesn't actually add or remove a rep status that appears on your profile. That's a different system all together.

:)

But staff can like posts? This is a very confusing new system o_O

As previously stated by Ian, we are currently *testing* this feature. The only way for us to *test* it is to grant staff the power to *like* stuff to see if we will carry on with members. If we decide to enable these features, we will give them to members as well. Otherwise, we will remove the liking capacities from our staff members. Makes sense? Yes. Good.