Quotes

Welcome Back Apathy

There are awesome people in the world. They say awesome stuff. I am not one of those people. So I quote what those people say.

Post a quote. Inspirational. Funny. Uh, try to keep it sunshine and rainbow-y. Thanks.

My favorite quote in the word is by Cato the Elder: "After I'm dead, I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one." This one really hits me because I'm often passed over for things I deserve. But it definitely makes me feel better afterward, because people fight for me.

Aaaand...quote of the day is from me: "I'm not skinny! I'm small-boned!" <--I keep having to say this to people who make fun of me for my weight, or go on and on about how unhealthy I am. It's true, though--you can no longer see my ribs, but my waist is 22 inches.

A lot of my favorite quotes are from Douglas Adams:

“There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.”

― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

“I'd far rather be happy than right any day.”

― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

And From Usenet: "If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable." :D

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix. I've always really liked that quote.

I also like a quote that Dumbledore has in one of the Harry Potter books - "It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be". "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live" is another good one from him.

I'm not going to post quotes I love that relate to my religious/political beliefs although there are many, but there's one quote I like a lot that's meant to be an atheist quote but I prefer to not take it literally. "Two hands working do more than a thousand clasped in prayer". There's clearly the obvious literal meaning about religion there which I'm not going to say my thoughts on or go into because this isn't the Debate Chat, but I also just like it in a bit more figurative sense. Sort of like saying that you can sit and hope all day long for your problems to go away, but it won't change a thing. Working to make your life better for any amount of time will do better than just sitting around complaining. So I've always been fond of that quote as well.

Then, of course, there's Jon Landau's amazing 1974 quote - "I saw rock and roll's future and its name is Bruce Springsteen". Gotta love it.

“Be compassionate … and take responsibility for each other. If we only learned those lessons, this world would be a better place.” — Mitch Albom

“You must learn day by day, year by year, to broaden your horizons. The more things you love, the more you are interested in, the more you enjoy, the more you are indignant about- the more you have left if anything goes wrong.” — Ethel Barrymore

“The sun has already set on the days we made those choices. We must concentrate on what we can do tomorrow; we can’t relive yesterday.” — Terry Goodkind

“The truth is, life is rarely exactly the way we want it to be, and other people often don’t act as we would like them to. Moment to moment, there are aspects of life that we like and others that we don’t. There are always going to be people who disagree with you, people who do things differently, and things that don’t work out. If you fight against the principle of life, you’ll spend most of your life fighting battles.” — Richard Carlson

I'm not going to post quotes I love that relate to my religious/political beliefs although there are many, but there's one quote I like a lot that's meant to be an atheist quote but I prefer to not take it literally. "Two hands working do more than a thousand clasped in prayer". There's clearly the obvious literal meaning about religion there which I'm not going to say my thoughts on or go into because this isn't the Debate Chat, but I also just like it in a bit more figurative sense. Sort of like saying that you can sit and hope all day long for your problems to go away, but it won't change a thing. Working to make your life better for any amount of time will do better than just sitting around complaining. So I've always been fond of that quote as well.

I don't even know if that's meant to be an atheist quote, but it works well both as an atheist AND as a religious quote. I think that if there is a God, he'd prefer his people to do the work to gain whatever end rather than pray. For instance, when I see a homeless person on the street, I don't pray for them--I give them a dollar or a sandwich.

I don't even know if that's meant to be an atheist quote, but it works well both as an atheist AND as a religious quote. I think that if there is a God, he'd prefer his people to do the work to gain whatever end rather than pray. For instance, when I see a homeless person on the street, I don't pray for them--I give them a dollar or a sandwich.

It is meant as an atheist one, I got it from a source that contained those and I generally see it in that context, but I like it in that context as well! The whole attitude of "Working is better than just hoping" is the meaning I get from it, regardless of the specific implications.

It is meant as an atheist one, I got it from a source that contained those and I generally see it in that context, but I like it in that context as well! The whole attitude of "Working is better than just hoping" is the meaning I get from it, regardless of the specific implications.

Excuse my tangent, but...

A blonde finds herself in serious trouble. Her business has gone bust and she’s in dire financial straits. She’s so desperate that she decides to ask God for help. She begins to pray… “God, please help me. I’ve lost my business and if I don’t get some money, I’m going to lose my house as well. Please let me win the lotto.”

Lotto night comes, and somebody else wins it.

She again prays… “God, please let me win the lotto! I’ve lost my business, my house and I’m going to lose my car as well.” The Lotto night comes and she still has no luck.

Once again, she prays… “My God, why have You forsaken me? I’ve lost my business, my house, and my car. My children are starving. I don’t often ask You for help, and I have always been a good servant to You.

PLEASE let me win the lotto just this one time so I can get my life back in order.”

Suddenly there is a blinding flash of light as the heavens open. The blonde is overwhelmed by the Voice of God Himself…

”Sweetheart, work with Me on this… Buy a ticket.”

A religious man is on top of a roof during a great flood. A man comes by in a boat and says "get in, get in!" The religous man replies, " no I have faith in God, he will grant me a miracle."

Later the water is up to his waist and another boat comes by and the guy tells him to get in again. He responds that he has faith in god and god will give him a miracle. With the water at about chest high, another boat comes to rescue him, but he turns down the offer again cause "God will grant him a miracle."

With the water at chin high, a helicopter throws down a ladder and they tell him to get in, mumbling with the water in his mouth, he again turns down the request for help for the faith of God. He arrives at the gates of heaven with broken faith and says to Peter, I thought God would grand me a miracle and I have been let down." St. Peter chuckles and responds, "I don't know what you're complaining about, we sent you three boats and a helicopter."

Aaaaaaaaand I'm done.

My favorite quotes are all funny ones.

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Adam Douglas

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe" - Carl Sagan

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it." - W.C. Fields

Never look down on somebody unless you're helping them up

Heaven's not that place you go when you die.

It's that moment in life when you actually feel alive. ♥ - Spill Canvas: The Tide

Just Remember

beautiful pictures develop from the negatives in a dark room.

so if you see darkness in your life

just be reassured that a beautiful picture

is being prepared.

God made men first because you always make a rough draft before a masterpiece

Sometimes what you don't do is every bit as powerful as what you do - Criminal Minds: Aaron Hotchner

Don't let today's disappointments cast a shadow on tomorrow's dreams

Unless your name is "Google" stop acting like you know everything. (=

Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light. - Albus Dumbledoor

It's stupid to hate people because of the color of their skin when there are so many reasons to hate people on an individual basis

If you say plz because it's shorter than please. I will say no because it is shorter than yes.

However long the night, the dawn will break.

You are most powerful when you are most silent. People never expect silence. They expect words, motion, defense, offense, back and forth. They expect to leap into the fray. They are ready, fists up, words leaping forth from their mouths. Silence? No

‎"life is a brutal teacher but, you learn ,my god do you learn"

I'm jealous of my parents. I will never have a kid as cool as theirs.

This number only exists in your imagination. Please hang up and don't call back. - Digimon: Season 1, episode 2.

I have so many more but I think I have said too many. *cough* I also love my siggy quote.

“If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.”

-A.A. Milne (aka the author of Winnie the Pooh!)

This is the sweetest quote. :3

Do you know Divina Commedia written by Dante? It is one of the most amazing book I ever read, and I particulary appreciate the V Canto of Inferno, when Dante meets Paolo e Francesca, two lovers that had been killed by Francesca's husband (that also was Paolo's brother).

Amor, ch'al cor gentil ratto s'apprende,

prese costui de la bella persona

che mi fu tolta; e 'l modo ancor m'offende.

Amor, ch'a nullo amato amar perdona,

mi prese del costui piacer sì forte,

che, come vedi, ancor non m'abbandona.

Amor condusse noi ad una morte.

Caina attende chi a vita ci spense.

The english version is not that beautiful I think...

Love, that in gentle heart is quickly

Entangled him by that fair form, from me

Ta'en in such cruel sort, as grieves me still:

Love, that denial takes from none belov'd,

Caught me with pleasing him so passing well,

That, as thou see'st, he yet deserts me not.

Love brought us to one death: Caina waits

The soul, who spilt our life.

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Epicurus

All war is deception.

Sun Tzu

At the touch of love everyone becomes a poet.

Plato