Dog went to the vet today

xLaura

We were really close to putting her down, and then we decided to give it another day..

if the anti-inflammatories the vet gave us seem to work wee going to wait it out for awhile..

She's a 12 1/2 year old yellow lab with arthritis and a neurological disease which screws with he nerves...so she could be walking sideways on her paw and not even know it

As i was writing this post my mom went outside with her so she could use the bathroom and i had to run out to help her back in because she wouldnt go up the steps.

If she's that bad off... sweetie, you might just want to let her go. :( I know it isn't easy, but once they're in pain - once living is no longer good for them... why force them to stick around? Just love her as much as you can, and let her be.

Oh my... :(

I've seen three cats die. One of them lived with me until I was 10, it was incredibly hard. But watching her suffering was worse than putting her down, I'm sure you agree... As hard as it can be, it's life. If you love the dog as much as it seems, then I'm sure she had a wonderful life by your side. :)

My advice: do what's best for her. :/

Oh, Laura, I'm so sorry to hear that. I can completely relate to what you've been going through. About 5 years ago my cat (who came to us as a stray and we had as a pet for over 12 years) developed stomach cancer and deteriorated quickly. It got to the point where she couldn't even drink water and subsequently became so weak she couldn't even move from the rug that she slept on. There was no way we could allow her to suffer any longer, and we decided to put her down. Our main priority was to make her as comfortable as possible before that happened (as I'm sure you will have with your dog), and the night before it happened we even slept on the rug with her so she wasn't alone. I'm sure that sounds ridiculous to those who aren't animal lovers, but it is truly losing a member of your family. It still brings me to tears.

The main thing is to understand that you've actually helped her. She was obviously suffering, and by releasing her from that you've done a wonderful thing, as awful as it feels just now. I'm sure she had a fantastic life with your family.

Oh dear. I'm so very sorry you had to put down your dog. I'm going to have to put my cat down sooner or later, but, (Luckily? Can I really use that word in this sentence...) I don't know when. Right now he's doing well, but the diagnosis was cancer, so there is no telling how long he will last.

It must be tough, to be going through what you are right now. I almost had to put Misha down around Christmas time, and I thought it would kill me. I felt like I'd failed him. Like I was the reason he was dying. I told my mother I felt like a murderer. My mother kept telling me that in making the decision to put him down, I was actually doing a good thing, showing mercy to him, and that the cruel thing would be to hold on to him when he was so obviously suffering. I was very lucky, in that he seems to have bounced back, but I still dread the point where I will have to put him down... To feel like that all over again... It's awful.

I hope you are able to grieve, and to feel better soon. Try to remember the good times that you and your dog had. The funny things that only she did. The great times you shared. I may never have had to put a pet down yet, but I did have to part with one before I was nearly ready to do so. I had to leave her behind. It was a complicated thing, and it's a long complicated story, but I will settle for telling you that I still think about her. She was a very tolerant cat. She used to let me dress her up in doll clothes, and wheel her around in my baby stroller. She used to sleep in the crib my grandpa made me for my dolls. She and her sister (who belonged to my brother) used to wake us up to watch early morning cartoons after our stepfather went to work, and before our mother woke up. I miss her, but having these memories of her (among many others) makes it a lot easier to think about her when the thoughts cross my mind.

I wish you all the best, and I hope the pain eases over time.