To Open or Not to Open

Emily

To Open or Not to Open  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Is it Better to Open the Mystery Bags?

• Yes. You might get something worth wayyy more than the selling price of the bag
    • No way. I've never gotten anything good from a bag

Overall, from experience or otherwise, do people think it's better to open the treat bags/goodie bags and hope for a prize that they need/want, or to sell them off (right away or after waiting until they inflate) for money to get something they want?

I always sell them. I've sold all my Trick-Or-Treat bags for 10-50k. And that's more than covered the cost of me just flat out buying all the Silhouette Backgrounds that I wanted. Even if I'd opened them, chanced were I wouldn't have gotten them.

Item Search: trick-or-treat | Items: 1 | Qty: 8

Current value: 2.9k

See, I haven't sold them, but I really don't think now is the moment to do so either.

So I'm still undecided about opening or solding last year's bags...

i usually sell them but this year i tried opening them. on my first bag, i got a background.

sold the bg and bought 4 more bags, 3/4 had more bgs so id say it is worth it.

You're lucky. I opened four and all of them had junk items.

I've decided that this is the last time I'm ever opening a mystery bag.

Basically, there are two possibilities:

A ) open the bags, hoping for a Halloween Paint brush, or some items you like. Usually, you only get junk. You then throw these items into your SDB (they are somewhat limited edition, after all...), and go on your merry way.

B ) you throw the bags into your SDB. Several years later, their value has inflated to a significant amount of NP. By that time you will either have forgotten about the bags, quit playing Neopets completely, or become such a good player that you can make that amount of NP in one day, so it's still better to wait for the price to inflate more, right?

So, two choices, same outcome. Except in case B, you will always have the doubt of "what if the paint brush is there?" at the back of your head.

I should have just sold them, but one time I got a really good prize and my curiosity is always too much for me to not open them :/

I've spent a lot of NP (and I mean A LLOOTT of NP!) on goodie bags, mystery bags, and other items that give out items. Ironically it was one of the free bags I received that gave me Mystery Island Silhouette Background (which is worth about 95k)

It's like the lottery - you hope you win, you bank on winning, you sweat bullets thinking *this* time will pay out... but deep down you know "I'm NOT going to win." and that's the one that's usually right.

• 2 weeks later...

last year i kept them all in my SDB , and they are still there ...

this year i got 4 bags and I opened them all.

i got one BG (lost desert silhouette) and the rest was junk.

i'm glad i opened them though .. i would have sold them all for like 80k and the bg alone will bring me more than that in just a few months.

besides if i wanted a bag just for keeps i'll just buy one from the wiz. they're not that expensive and they deflate quickly and inflate very,very slowly over time, contrary to popular belief.

I'd say open 2 and keep 2 .. he he he

I normally open one goodie bag and sell the rest right away. Then after they deflate I buy a few :yes:

Usually I don't get anything of value *lol*

I used to promise myself: "I'll only open one this year" 2 minutes later, they have all been opened, and they were all filled with 2-3 items worth 10 neopoints each (if I was lucky). This was like 6 years ago though, so maybe there's better stuff in these bags. I just sell them now, I don't even tempt myself.

• 2 weeks later...

I would never open mine, I'd sell the next year or so. You can sell them for quite a hefty amount, and often you'll just get cheap stuff.. Yet you can sell for a hundred times the price you'd get for the items you got.