Inappropriate adverts on neopets?

Secre

I have to say that what I'm hearing makes me angry. I'm SO glad I made my daughter quit playing.

I have to admit that although the advert annoyed me I wouldn't contemplate quitting - or making anyone else quit. As far as I can see neopets is one of the most child friendly games sites around especially as they have specific limitations for children. E.g the limitations on neomail and forums etc. This to me would suggest that they are a remarkably socially responsible site. The adverts are a small part of it. If anything I'd be encouraging my child to play it rather than any other games site they might come across where themes, language and behaviour are not so strictly monitored.

I do not expect everyone to share in my actions and opinions, but is it really necessary to tell me that mine are "stupid"?

That aside, I actually do have ABP. That's why I had no idea there were beer and male enhancement ads. That isn't why I made her quit, I only meant that in hindsight-this is just one more reason (to me) why neopets is NOT a child-friendly site.

I made my daughter quit playing because of the social aspects. The idea of her being able to chat with or email strangers is terrifying to me.

When she first started playing, I was satisfied with the idea that they put restrictions on children's accounts to not allow access to those social features, like the neoboards, mail, etc.

But of course, it was only a few weeks in that she started complaining about her account being so restricted. I thought I could dismiss it, with a "that's just tough", but she wouldn't give it up. I can control whether or not she goes on sites I deem inappropriate (for the most part, even that is not fool proof), but I certainly cannot watch her every move. If I allowed the neopets site, I knew it would only be a matter of time before she figured out that she could just create another account and lie about the age to get past those restrictions.

I know that may sound too strict, but I have to either allow the site or not-I can't block individual pages or stand over her shoulder while she plays, so tyrannical or not, I'm erring on the side of safety.

Case in point, in the few short months since I joined this site there have been several children on here who have admitted to doing exactly that......and in the same post commenting or asking questions about being scammed, or being contacted by people who claim to be children and want to meet in person.

I get that ads can be geared toward the age we create on a profile, but the only thing keeping a child from those adult ads-and the dangers of social networking- is two little digits. That's just not good enough for me.