Illegal Drugs

Unstream

Illegal Drugs  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Should illegal drugs (marijuana, cocaine, etc.) be legalized?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

So I stumbled upon an interesting subject today.

Should illegal drugs be legalized?

Think about all of the trouble caused by drugs. US now has a narco state right on it's southern border. Organized crime runs uncontrollably, just because the demand for such substances are so high. This is basically the Prohibition in the 1920s, but on an international scale. It's Al Capone worldwide. And keep in mind that over 800 policemen and soldiers were killed since December of 06, and the annual overall death toll is over 6,000. Legalization could stop these drug wars.

But then again, in the early 1900s opium was freely sold in China, which wreaked havoc there. One out of every four adults were addicted to opium. That's an astoundingly high number of people. And opium is one of the world's most addictive substances. Drugs such as marijuana could be used at an extremely high rate as well. Legalization may very well encourage the use of illegal substances, which would be devastating to society.

So, what's your take on this?

Legalization would NOT stop deaths due to drugs or drug wars and there would still be illegal drugs being trafficked around the country and the world. If anything having drugs so regulated here would probably only fuel other mafia's or drug traffickers to come to the USA to get these drugs as they'd know it wouldn't run out. Plus it would have people who are very much so against drugs paying taxes on well... the drugs so addicts can feed their addiction.

In some cities marijuana is legal (you can have up to a certain amount) and in some states they allow & supply medical marijuana.

No no no, I'm not talking about the legalization of only marijuana, but about the legalization of all illegal drugs.

Therefore, no illegal drugs could be trafficked around the country.

And it's not like the US would be supplying drugs. The world's nations will simply stop jailing people who use them and enforcing such laws.

I mean, with the drugs legalized, drug cartels won't find a need to attempt to smuggle it across borders. That means less fights against policemen.

I know you're not talking specifically about marijuana.

But yes, illegal drugs would still be trafficked around the country (and the world) for many reasons; the biggest one being that the legalized versions wouldn't be that great of quality, and people want the best of the best (which is where all the money is), so they're going to get it and not much short of death will stop them. Secondly, the amount given would be minimal and regulated so if there is a place to get more drugs for a bit more money (which is also better quality), of course addicts going to go for it 100% of the time.

The world's nations will simply stop jailing people who use them and enforcing such laws.

Simply stop jailing people who use drugs? So they can go and run rampant, stealing, killing, getting another people attached to the addiction and then get send them to jail? It's bad enough as is, imagine going to a pharmacy and picking up 10 kilos of heroin for $1,000,000.00? lol

There is absolutely no good in coming out of legalizing drugs. It would cost a lot more money to implement than it would bring good. You'd have taxes, flooded rehabilitation centers (which surprise, also added taxes), more crime and therefore people in jail (which surprise again... more taxes!), police stations would have to drug test every person after every crime from theft to a car accident to murder to see if they were under the influence of narcotics. It would be way easier to get children & teenagers hooked on meth, cocaine, heroin, Oxycontin, steroids, inhalants & whatever other amphetamines you can think of. Let's not forget that drugs lead to sex, which often leads to teen pregnancies. Children having children is rarely a good mix, ESPECIALLY if they're hooked on drugs which only means more babies born hooked on drugs. Sounds like the future would be bright for the upcoming youth. PLUS hospitals are going to be crowed with people who contracted HIV/AIDS from sharing crack pipes, needles and the like plus overdoses and whatever other injuries which might ensue. Even then more diseases may be created due to the use of dirty drug paraphernalia.

Let's not forget the new implication of laws and other options in favor of protecting people who choose not to use drugs. How are they going to be protected? How are they going to be reassured that they can drive down the street and not be carjacked or robbed by a gang of people who are all high on drugs or hit by some dopehead doing 200MPH in a school zone? And on top of everything mentioned above, the cost of the drugs themselves.

What if some airplane pilot takes a hit and then decides to fly? What if a police officer smokes up instead of having a coffee and doughnut break? It's legal. They're allowed, right? Imagine your house is on fire and you're stranded at the very top but the fighterfighters are delayed because they decided to go and do a few hits before hand...

The legalization of drugs = bad idea. Even the Netherlands still has many problems with drug trafficking and drug related crimes/incidents and it's legal.

If your argument is that legalizing drugs will stop law enforcement being killed, don't believe that for a second. Having more drug fueled morons willfully running around will only fuel their inflated ego's and cause more deaths of officers and innocent civilians. You'd rather have a nation (and world by the sounds of things) filled with drug addicts and other crazies just because of the hope it would dwindle the number of police officers being killed?

Drugs are ruining lives and killing people as we are having this discussion. Having more drugs easily accessible to more people does not sound like too great of a plan to me.

Hey, just because it's legal, doesn't mean cops would be allowed to do it on break. I mean, drinking's legal, but cops aren't allowed to drink on the job. Rules like those can still be in place.

And really, people on pot don't go around stealing and killing people (if anything, they'll point at a tree and be like "Duuuudde, look at all of those little men dancing on the leaves.") That's what comes from them trying to get the drugs, which, if they were legal, wouldn't be a problem.

Substances won't likely be impure either. If anything, the government can then set regulations to make sure all drugs are pure, therefore making it safer for the users.

And anyway, people can get hit by people DUI at 200 MPH too, and I don't see alcohol outlawed.

And it's also important to note that the price of said drugs are usually so high because they have to be smuggled. The actual price of the drug is very cheap.

And also, the substances don't have to be legal to teens and children. Alcohol was also prohibited in the 1920s, and when it was legalized, there was still an age limit set to it.

Here's a good article you can read: http://www.economist.com/printedition/disp...ory_id=13237193

Please note, I am neither for nor against drug legalization. I just feel like there should be some opposition :P

Hey, just because it's legal, doesn't mean cops would be allowed to do it on break. I mean, drinking's legal, but cops aren't allowed to drink on the job. Rules like those can still be in place.

Exactly. The point is, if people who are cops, firefighters and pilots aren't allowed to take hit of meth - ever, why would anyone support other people doing it? lol Doesn't make much sense, does it. The difference between hard drugs and alcohol is a bit different. After you have a sip of wine, you don't think spiders are crawling out of your face and therefore you won't go to a mirror and try to gouge them out... lol

And really, people on pot don't go around stealing and killing people (if anything, they'll point at a tree and be like "Duuuudde, look at all of those little men dancing on the leaves.") That's what comes from them trying to get the drugs, which, if they were legal, wouldn't be a problem.

We weren't specifically talking about pot, remember ;) But in my lifetime I've had many of friends be hooked on drugs, get sent to jail for distribution and lastly die because of an overdose all of which started from pot at a very early age (let's say 13 - and that was 10 years ago).

Substances won't likely be impure either. If anything, the government can then set regulations to make sure all drugs are pure, therefore making it safer for the users.

They're obviously aren't going to sell drugs that are laced with gasoline & whatever else lol But that doesn't mean they're high grade drugs. There's no way that a country is going to spend top notch dollars for a top notch grade of drug lol. As I said above, 10 kilos of cocaine alone costs roughly 1 million dollars. Don't you think that million could be spent in a better way?

And anyway, people can get hit by people DUI at 200 MPH too, and I don't see alcohol outlawed.

Again, exactly my point. It's bad enough as is with people under the influence of alcohol. You'd (not you but people who support the legalization of drugs) support more people having more options to go about this?

And it's also important to note that the price of said drugs are usually so high because they have to be smuggled. The actual price of the drug is very cheap.

This is true. A tablet of Oxycontin usually goes for 1.50 via prescription. On the black market one tablet sells for 60-100 dollars since they are so hard to come by lol. But there's no chance that a government is going to hand out Oxycontin to anyone that pleases.

Please note, I am neither for nor against drug legalization. I just feel like there should be some opposition

You gave that away long, long ago, doll. :D I couldn't even read this line ' That means less fights against policemen ' without laughing. :P

I'm divided.

I don't believe ALL drugs should be legalised.

However... I do believe some should. Why? Because I think it would mean less stringent laws, less time for the police, government and tax payer funded raids going into something like marijuana busts. People are going to smoke it no matter what, so let them. It's not like they are holding up corner stores for their next hit are they?

If ecstasy was regulated, then I don't think that would be a bad thing. Same goes for the drugs that people take for recreation purposes. I do believe that before anything like that could go a head there would need to be a huge HUGE educational directive for the entire country. People should know what they are putting in their body and how it can hurt them. It comes down to personal choice, however it should be an informed choice.

Harder drugs, which cause society/communities damage (ie. heroin, ice, etc) shouldn't be legalised at all.

They're obviously aren't going to sell drugs that are laced with gasoline & whatever else lol But that doesn't mean they're high grade drugs. There's no way that a country is going to spend top notch dollars for a top notch grade of drug lol. As I said above, 10 kilos of cocaine alone costs roughly 1 million dollars. Don't you think that million could be spent in a better way?

Actually, it would be the businesses paying for the drugs, not the government. I mean, the government isn't paying for the cars Toyota imports into America, Toyota is.

I kinda agree with Femme Diva though. There are some that definitely shouldn't, but there are others where legalizing them might be beneficial.

Allowing some to be legal is like saying yeah you can have a taste but not the whole thing. It would never work. They are gate way drugs and they will lead to stronger things down the road. I'm not saying that everyone is going to go hardcore with it but it just seems like if you legalize some then harsher things will seem not so bad. Ultimately ending in things worse then they are now.

I'd just also like to add that legalizing drugs and having a legal limit are two different things which I fully support the later, especially towards pot. Harder more sever drugs, never. Keep that off the streets as much as possible. :sick01:

Just like cigarettes, you're allowed to carry them in your possession but you're not allowed to smoke in a public place (law where I live). If you're in possession of an ounce of pot or less (just an example)... meh. Just like with cigarettes, smoke it on your own property not public for people who want to be around it.

You're not even allowed to smoke cigarettes in the car with a child under the age of 16 here or else you get a fine. If you don't pay you lose your license and/or insurance. Harsh lol

Allowing some to be legal is like saying yeah you can have a taste but not the whole thing. It would never work.

Actually, I think you'd find it would. Not all drugs are the same. Speed isn't the same as acid. Heroin isn't the same as cocaine. Which is why it would work.

Different drugs do different things. Legalising the recreational drugs would mean that there could be regulation. Regulation means that there won't be rat poison going into say, a tablet of ecstasy. You would know what was in it and what wasn't.

Which goes back to me informed decision making note in previous post.

It would also mean that more police time would be given for harder drug busts, which I think should never be on the streets as not only does it cause the person self harm, it also hurts their family and the community.

They are gate way drugs and they will lead to stronger things down the road. I'm not saying that everyone is going to go hardcore with it but it just seems like if you legalize some then harsher things will seem not so bad. Ultimately ending in things worse then they are now.

Well, actually what you are saying is that if it's legalised then everyone is going to end up a hard core smack addict (for example)...

Just wanted to point out that it's totally not true.

Just because drugs aren't legal at the moment doesn't mean that most of the population isn't doing them. People that are after the next hit will continue to be after the next hit.

But I find comparing say, heroin addiction to a once a week/fortnight/month pill drop totally at opposite ends of the spectrum. They just are not the same, no matter which way you put them.

But again, you are entitled to your opinion and me to mine :)

Yeah, some should be legalized.

and controlled properly.

I'll use marijuana as the example.

They set a minimum age (I'll use 20 for the example) to legally use it.

They keep track of how much you buy (so your not just stocking up and selling it to minors)

Keep it illegal to drive while intoxicated.

Make harsh fines for violators of the rules that are set up.

Then the government could tax it.

Anything like cocaine of heroin (especially meth :angry: ) however, that stuff should still be illegal.

I don't think that cocaine, meth or heroin should be legal but I believe if marijuana is legal it will be, actually, really helpful.

Reasons why marijuana should be legal:

1. Tax the poo out of it and make a boat load of money

2. Stop illegal behavior: gangs will die out, drug wars will settle (slightly)

i not sure, if these drugs were legalized, the drug dealers in Mexico might stop killing people like they are now. but also it would become alot easier for people to get these drugs in a result of even more drug related deaths than already

I have to admit that hearing about the drug cartels in Mexico that are seeping into America scare the poo outta me.

As far as legalizing all currently labeled illegal drugs, I'm kinda on the fence.

I'm personally a fellow that would never touch the stuff, not even marijuana as far as the category is concerned, nor would I engage with people currently using such drugs. I can appreciate the experiences of folks who have used it in the past, though. Everyone deserves a second chance. I understand that marijuana is not this horrifying brain-melting drug that ruins you for life as programs like DARE wished us to believe. Hyperbole will not solve problems. My uncle used to smoke a ton of pot, but he is a responsible husband and father of three. He's not a bad man. I don't believe anyone who uses drugs is "bad". They may be misguided, but never evil.

If a gun were held to my head, I would admit to being a libertarian as far as political affiliations lie. I'm not registered with the party, but that's where I lean to most. I feel as though on principle I should allow the legalization of illegal drugs, if nothing more than simply a Darwinist movement to cull the human population (a horribly unemotional stance, I realize). There is always the argument that if the government legalized and heavily taxed illegal drugs, then the problems of drug cartels would go away. Perhaps the taboo standing of the drugs would fade slightly. I never felt that the "you must be an adult to have cigarettes or alcohol" helped the underage consumption of either very well, since quite a few kids wish to feel "grown up". I, however, would love to believe that legalization would remove a lot of the problem, but I simply do not have enough information at my fingertips to come to this conclusion. All arguments must be analyzed from both sides to understand where the parties are coming from and where fallacies occur.

Probably the main reason that I never touched drugs as a younger soul stems from the fact that I simply never met people who used the stuff in the first place. I met them in college when I was of an age to confidently make sound decisions. I also just never felt the need to search for these items in the first place. I realize that taste, the superficial preferences that bear no moral or ethical stance on our persons, probably factors in a lot to this idea.

In the end, I honestly wish for people to have happy lives and good health. We have a lot more to conquer before that will come to fruition. I wish that people wouldn't use drugs because it can ruin their health and potentially have social consequences as well, but I realize that that won't happen anytime soon. I feel in the end that once we have a firm grasp of what is good, a true Good and not simply rhetoric or dogma, we will follow that. Until then, I must defer to the doctrine of freedom, allowing us to walk all paths until we find that Good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest shanemk

I fully support the legalization of marijuana in all 50 states of the USA under FEDERAL law.

Legalize marijuana all over the world, prices will drop as anyone can then grow a few plants for personal use... no market for large ammounts of weed needed anymore, no need to smuggle it in large quantities or to fight/kill over selling turf.

I am not a drug user and weed is illegal in my country although you dont have to look far to find some, i would never buy it here but whenever i visit the Netherlands every few odd years, i would buy some in one of the coffee shops and relqax a bit wiht my friends there. None of us ever chatted up a tree or done something stupid and non are regular users and none had moved on to harder drugs. Saying that, i don't say it can't happen.

Most other drugs can cause personality disorders, even death ( the so "innocent" extacy included) and i would never want to see it legalized

Hmmmm.....

Back in the day I took a lot of drugs. I never did any really harsh stuff like cocaine and herion. And taking a lot of drugs means you also learn a lot about them. In my eyes Cannabis is ok, there is no recorded fatalities and loads of other fun facts I could drag up but Im too lazy. Theres someting to do with USA banning Hemp because it was becoming more popular than Cotton and the cotton (and something to do with paper) industries where going bust. Then they bought out the oh so hilarious film reefer madness. People say Cannabis can send you crazy and such but I reckon you need to have the capabilities to become crazy first, i.e your mind already has a crack and cannabis makes it worse. Then again I used to always smoke resin, thats the brown stuff in chunks. That gets tampered with a lot and people put plastic, ginger, diesel, brick dust etc in with it to bulk it out. It the purer green that I found more dangerous, because its more concentrated it tends to screw you up a bit more, again though only if you let it. I saw a lot of my friends become ridiculously lazy of green and sometimes very paranoid and moody.

In think the main danger with drugs is little punks trying to make a quick buck and they mix all types of crap in with the drug to bulk it out, or even worse lace it with another drug and thats what ends up killing people or fudging them up for life.

People are always gonna die because or over drugs, the extremists are always going to be ranting their 'reefer madness preaching' so it will never be legalized.

And thanks guys, after writing this big long rant I look out the window and its bloody raining and I left all my laundry on the line! I hate being British at times...

Hmmmm.....

Back in the day I took a lot of drugs. I never did any really harsh stuff like cocaine and herion. And taking a lot of drugs means you also learn a lot about them. In my eyes Cannabis is ok, there is no recorded fatalities and loads of other fun facts I could drag up but Im too lazy. Theres someting to do with USA banning Hemp because it was becoming more popular than Cotton and the cotton (and something to do with paper) industries where going bust. Then they bought out the oh so hilarious film reefer madness. People say Cannabis can send you crazy and such but I reckon you need to have the capabilities to become crazy first, i.e your mind already has a crack and cannabis makes it worse. Then again I used to always smoke resin, thats the brown stuff in chunks. That gets tampered with a lot and people put plastic, ginger, diesel, brick dust etc in with it to bulk it out. It the purer green that I found more dangerous, because its more concentrated it tends to screw you up a bit more, again though only if you let it. I saw a lot of my friends become ridiculously lazy of green and sometimes very paranoid and moody.

In think the main danger with drugs is little punks trying to make a quick buck and they mix all types of crap in with the drug to bulk it out, or even worse lace it with another drug and thats what ends up killing people or fudging them up for life.

People are always gonna die because or over drugs, the extremists are always going to be ranting their 'reefer madness preaching' so it will never be legalized.

And thanks guys, after writing this big long rant I look out the window and its bloody raining and I left all my laundry on the line! I hate being British at times...

wow, pretty spot on. also, one of the main reasons cannabis was outlawed in the USA was because during the great depression, mexican workers, who frequently used it, were taking jobs that citizens could have had. To get rid of them, the government banned it, making it illegal, and giving them a way to get rid of the mexican migrant workers. Thanks history channel XD

To all those who never used weed/cannabis/marijuana/grass or whatever you want to call it and are going to try, be careful where you get the stuff from. First of all, rather roll your own joint or watch the person doing it or if you buy pre-rolled ones, buy from a legit shop.

You DONT know what is in it when accepting from a stranger and its rolled beforehand. Some peeps add stuff to enhance the effect and that can seriously affect you. I am talking out of experience and all affects aint always nice. You want to enjoy a smoke and still be in controle, not go all paraletic,crazy and paranoid.

• 1 month later...

hmm... i would say keep it as it is now- illegal.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Native) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Do not bump an old topic inactive for over 21 days.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Native if you have any questions regarding this action.