Gay Marriage

Unstream

^_^ Ruto, the e-mail thing was actually a joke. It took people's opposing view on gay marriage, and then made valid points on why people can't say those things about gay marriage. The whole thing was written in more of a sarcastic sense. Like I said before, I'm all for gay marriage, cause honestly there is no real reason to oppose it. I know my brother is a big homophobe, his reason to not allow gay marriage is that he doesn't want other guys hitting on him.

This always confused me, as banning gay marriage will not stop anyone from hitting on you, it will just stop someone from proposing to you, well not even that because you can still can get engaged but just not married. (I actually know a couple that have been engaged for a couple of years and is just waiting for our state to overturn the law so they can get married.)

Sorry if there was any cofusion about that. Maybe I should have bolded the opposing view on gay marriage and then put the comments in a different color or something, so you could see they were two different opinions?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know my brother is a big homophobe, his reason to not allow gay marriage is that he doesn't want other guys hitting on him.

My brother's against gay marriage too, but he thinks being gay is gross and unnatural. He says he doesn't understand how anyone, guy or girl, could be attracted to guys. Whenever the topic comes up, I try to explain to him that he has no right to judge others or decide what should/should not be legal for them, nor does he have any valid reason why he opposes gay marriage - just that he thinks it's disgusting. I've heard him and his friends talk, and their ignorance is amazing to me. I mean, he's only 13; he'll hopefully become less ignorant as he gets older and more mature, but still... I certainly wasn't that ignorant when I was 13 (and I'm not just saying that because I'm older and don't remember how I thought at age 13 or anything like that; I was 13 just two years ago).

Exactly!!! I mean, if your against something at least back it up with valid facts, just thinking something is gross isn't a good enough reason, though if your brother is 13 he has room to grow, and learn more as he gets older. He's still young yet, my brother is actually 2 years older than me, and I'm 21 sooo....yeah.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest shanemk
This is something my friend sent me in an email a while back and I thought it made a rather good point.

10 Reasons to Oppose Gay Marriage

1) Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things

like eyeglasses, polyester, liposuction, and air conditioning.

2) Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that

hanging around tall people will make you tall.

3) Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy

behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal

standing and can sign a marriage contract.

4) Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all:

women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is

still illegal.

5) Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed;

the sanctity of Britney Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be

destroyed.

6) Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples,

infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our

orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.

7) Obviously, gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents

only raise straight children.

8) Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the

values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's why we

have only one religion in America.

9) Children can never succeed without both a male and a female role model

at home. That's why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to

raise children.

10) Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never

adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the

service-sector economy, or longer life spans.

Obviously I'm for gay marriage, though I am straight. There is absolutely no reason I can think of to ban two people from marrying one another.

Lol if anyone wants to see a gay guy voice this out, theres a video on you tube. His tube name is tyleroakley and the title is "Why Gay Marriage is WRONG."

Over here (Holland) gay marriage is allowed since 2001 and really, society hasn't really changed after that. Gay people can be married in a civil ceremony, just like everybody else and I think that's just great. It gives them the same (juridical) rights as their straight counterparts and that's how it should be. Everybody is equal and though you might not agree with the way others are living their lifes, it's still their life.

That was a great mail, btw. It was so over the top that I just laughed out loud! ^_^

Over here (Holland) gay marriage is allowed since 2001 and really, society hasn't really changed after that. Gay people can be married in a civil ceremony, just like everybody else and I think that's just great. It gives them the same (juridical) rights as their straight counterparts and that's how it should be. Everybody is equal and though you might not agree with the way others are living their lifes, it's still their life.

That was a great mail, btw. It was so over the top that I just laughed out loud!

I am against straight or gay marriage. I believe marriage is a religious word and should be separated from the state.

I believe both straight and gay people should be allowed to join in a civil union (juridical right but without the religious word) and marriage can be determined by the person's church.

Something slightly off topic: I hate when people assume you're gay because you support gay rights. This is as if supporting civil rights makes you black.

• 2 weeks later...

Even though your friend will not see this, I'm going to talk about it anyways.

1) Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things

like eyeglasses, polyester, liposuction, and air conditioning.

2) Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that

hanging around tall people will make you tall.

3) Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy

behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal

standing and can sign a marriage contract.

4) Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all:

women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is

still illegal.

5) Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed;

the sanctity of Britney Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be

destroyed.

6) Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples,

infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our

orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.

7) Obviously, gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents

only raise straight children.

8) Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the

values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's why we

have only one religion in America.

9) Children can never succeed without both a male and a female role model

at home. That's why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to

raise children.

10) Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never

adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the

service-sector economy, or longer life spans.

1) 'Real Americans'? So your friend saying if an American isn't opposed to gay marriage, they aren't normal? Not only is that rude to gays, that's rude to your fellow Americans.

... air conditioning?

2 )Actually, pretty much all of my friends are much taller than I am, but I still don't like my height, I want to be shorter, truthfully. Being gay or bisexual or anything like that isn't a choice; most people are born like that. People don't just go 'Hey - I'm going to be gay today !'

3 ) Gay marriage isn't like an alien. It's still two human beings, two loving, caring people, two people who may be nice to everyone they meet. I hate it when people think that just because someone is gay makes them completely alienated.

4 ) It's called change. People should be able to love whoever they want to. Everything is changing around us today; the Americans have their first African American president, just take a look at our economy. I don't think letting people love who they want to is going to make as much of a change as either of those two things.

5 )A marriage is a marriage. It doesn't depend on if gay marriage is allowed, it depends on the people. People are not going to start divorcing more because gay marriage is allowed. It depends on the people - how much the care for one another, and that counts for same sex marriages and straight marriages.

6 ) And how many children out there are waiting in orphanages that wouldn't care if their parents were wild boars? They just want homes, they'd appreciate anything. Woman can create children - Gay marriages can help children who need it.

7 ) That is completely untrue, insane. So, she/he is saying if a kid had two fathers or two mothers, he/she is immediately gay. I know a lot of gays/bisexuals, and only two of them have gay parents.

8 ) People can believe what they want, I'm tired of people relying on religion for everything. One of my good friends is bisexual, and he is a strict Christian - when he figured out he was bi, he went into a suicidal stage because "God would no longer approve of him". God won't judge you, God can't change what you are. For some people, God does not even exist. But now, he is perfectly content with what he is, and he's pretty sure God is too.

9 ) She/He should have more faith in same-sex parents. They try the best they can, they're just trying to raise their child to be strong and healthy, just like any other straight family.

10 ) Like I said before, things change. Different things aren't going to stop happening just because gay marriage is allowed. I think our world, right now, could use a good change. But that's just my opinion.

Hey Alice, uh, just mentioning, if you've read any of the posts on this board, you'd know that that email was supposed to be sarcastic. It's meant to mock those arguments against gay marriage, to show how ridiculous they are.

Pretty much, it's a pro gay marriage joke.

is gay marriage really against christian religion?

Um no, it's usually the other way around.

The Pope is against it, so many catholic churches follow that.

Not sure what church you go to, however more and more churches outside the catholic church are starting to embrace gay people into their congregation.

So yours might be one of the nicer churches :)

For that answer, I just had to ask myself-if I had a son or daughter who was gay, would I want them to be able to marry their partner if they wished to?

YES because it is a matter of equality

Not sure what church you go to, however more and more churches outside the catholic church are starting to embrace gay people into their congregation.

So yours might be one of the nicer churches :)

ya im Methodist, not Catholic because i had heard stories of people being kicked out of their church for being gay and i was like what?

Well actually, most religions shun gay people.

I've never heard of anything about gay people at my church, so I don't know how they'd react in the first place.

Also, I go to a very large church, so they don't even know everyone there. There's no way anyone could be effectively kept out of it.

Well actually, most religions shun gay people.

I've never heard of anything about gay people at my church, so I don't know how they'd react in the first place.

Also, I go to a very large church, so they don't even know everyone there. There's no way anyone could be effectively kept out of it.

Well not really... We've got the Metropolitian Church which embraces their gay congregation, as well as gay carols during christmas at the Town Hall etc. Also the Uniting Church are very open about gay people being in their churches, etc.

I do remember reading about a Jewish gay wedding in the US.

I know that more and more people are finally getting out the the "gay is bad" thought process (although judging by the amount of crap my gf and I get walking down the road it's a slow process...)

Dunno. I'm leaning toward the optimistic side. However I have no doubt that there are quite a lot more religions out there that shun homosexuality. I prefer to ignore religions anyway. They have no basis in my life :)

Note how I said most religions, not all or every religion.

And keep in mind different groups of believers have different interpretations/ideals.

It's against Muslim religion to marry within the same sex.

It's against the Jewish religion to marry within the same sex.

It's against the Christian religion to marry within the same sex.

And it's all because that's what's written in the texts that they follow.

Here's the quote, straight from the Christian (and Jewish too, since Leviticus is in the old testament) Bible.

Leviticus 20:13

If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

hmmmm, no wonder the catholics have such a stick up their backsides about gay's getting married :P

What you've just written it's why I don't put much stock in religion.

It's a book. It's been changed over the years and realistically I don't think it should be followed as per every word (and I'm sure it isn't).

Each to their own :)

Back in the day, people were killing each other like animals because they believed differently. Probably things like homosexuality and suicide were outlawed in religion (the only applicable form of laws) because they needed to swell their numbers, knowing that they would lose people. Religion becomes mythology once all the practitioners die out. Roman Catholics recall that one of the seven sacraments is marriage, which is a license to have kids, in all honesty. Marriage was hardly a function of love and respect between the two parties back then. Anything that's going to keep the religious from growing is going to be frowned upon.

I believe in the right that anyone should be doing what he/she wants as long as they don't hurt anyone else..if they want to have a piece of paper that says they are married, why not?They are probably living together anyways.

• 4 weeks later...

Just going to throw my two cents in here. I am a Christian and as such I do not agree with gay marriage. However, I have no problem with same-sex couples being married by the state, the thing that bothers me is when same-sex couples expect to get married by a prest/pastor of a Christian church. I only say it bothers me because, well, you want to get married by someone whose doctrine forbids it... it doesn't sit well with me.

So, in summary...

Gay marriage in churches (or by clergy of Christian churches) = not good

Gar marriage from the state = OK by me.

Also, I feel the need to point out that there is nothing wrong with being homosexual. I only mention this because I get a lot of flak for stating the above opinion... I am against the actions of per-suing the life-style. (and yes, I can comment on that in a way seeing as I am bi myself. I have respect for homosexuals just like any other person. I may not agree with their actions, but I won't yell at them or condemn them to hell seeing as that would make Jesus cry...)

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Stephanie~) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Do not bump a topic that has been inactive for over 21 days.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Stephanie~ if you have any questions regarding this action.